So which Raleigh MTB is worth having? (Activators n/a)

They seemed somewhat heavier than I remember. I'll try to remember to weigh it over the weekend for a laugh.

Not the greatest bike, but my mum loved hers and must have done thousands of miles on it, so a rebuild will earn me more brownie points than giving her one of my "spare" bikes.

Make sure you get a picture. Still smiling. Been bugging me since I posted the thread.

Posted a reply here earlier, but it's vanished so I'll try again:

Mum%2527s+Magnum.JPG

Not done anything other than remove the tape from the top tube and given it a bit of a clean (honestly!)

Weighing in a substantial 17.1 kg (37.7 lbs) as it is.

It seems to have a weird oversize bottom bracket shell too, but I've not investigated yet.

As an estimate, I'd say my mum rode it for 15 years then it's been sat in a garage for the last 10.

I'm looking forward to getting time to clean it up and getting it running smoothly.

kingoffootball":3s7q9niy said:
As an estimate, I'd say my mum rode it for 15 years then it's been sat in a garage for the last 10.

I'm looking forward to getting time to clean it up and getting it running smoothly.

Well for ten years it doesn't look too bad ;) posthe results. Would be great to see my old drunk saver!

The bottom bracket looks to be the oversize Raleigh 'good idea at the time' pressed in steel cups version. It has the 3 piece crank adaptor fitted so you can use normal cranks.

The BB is just large steel races pressed into the BB shell, the axle has lock nuts on either end IIRC. Quite possibly the least sealed BB you'll ever come accross.

Rampage":rq2u9efo said:
The bottom bracket looks to be the oversize Raleigh 'good idea at the time' pressed in steel cups version. It has the 3 piece crank adaptor fitted so you can use normal cranks.

The BB is just large steel races pressed into the BB shell, the axle has lock nuts on either end IIRC. Quite possibly the least sealed BB you'll ever come accross.

Thanks for the information, it still seems pretty smooth to be honest, but doubtless I'll strip it anyway, if only to have a look.

Back