Ugly Modern bikes

'Compact' bars look awful as do 'Ergonomic' ones. They are the least 'ergonomic' items I can think of! And bl**dy uncomfortable.

I've got a new (October last year) carbon bike and I immediately changed the stem for a longer one and the bars to 'traditional' shape. It's still up in the loft, can't be bothered to get it out with all this rubbish weather.

It's nice to ride.

Old Ned":1u26okkf said:
'Compact' bars look awful as do 'Ergonomic' ones. They are the least 'ergonomic' items I can think of! And bl**dy uncomfortable.

I've got a new (October last year) carbon bike and I immediately changed the stem for a longer one and the bars to 'traditional' shape. It's still up in the loft, can't be bothered to get it out with all this rubbish weather.

It's nice to ride.

Compact bars are supposed to be the "in thing" for cyclo-cross at present; each to their own, I guess - I agree that the shallow drop looks peculiar (almost akin to something off a '30s/'40s track machine?), and added to the fact that I have longer than average arms and spend most of each race on the tops or hoods anyway, I'll stick to my ITM Millenniums thanks all the same....

David

vivelesalpes":4al4o1up said:
I think there are some potential carbon design classics o ut there such as the Pinarello Dogma and Cervelo S5,

Although I owned one once and found it a twitchy ride under certain conditions - horses for courses* I suppose - for appearance alone I've always been a fan of the earlier alloy-lugged Look carbon frames.

David

*N.B. This is not the new ad slogan for Findus. ;)

I just spent 4 weeks in Wichta with work and hired a Specialized Roubaix Expert and rode it everyday. It was my first experience of a carbon bike and I still wouldn't buy a carbon bike. It was no lighter or comfy to ride than my old Cannondale's.

But the worst bit for me was its looks, to get the correct top tube length I got a 56.5cm 'large' and at 6"1 had to have a vast amount of seatpost exposed, I can see why manufacturers love compacts but I think they look terrible.

Given this is a retro forum, there aren't going to be too many disciples of the current trends for huge tubes and complex shapes. However, it should be said that the new bikes are platforms for the new technologies (BB30) for example. If the idea is to extend the parameters of components then I suppose frames need to have larger diameter tubes etc and carbon facilitates this.

Personally I think some of the modern stuff is grotesque - massively high headtubes etc, they can look uncultured. At the same time there are others that I think are works of art - Cippolini's RB1000 is a particular favourite of mine.

My Ribble is entry level carbon, but it's a superb ride, wouldn't change it. 3200+ miles, same as the day I bought it. In 10 years, will I be able to restore it - nope, it'll be past it sell by date I reckon. Will I still be tinkering with steel frames, I very much hope so.

kermitgreenkona88":mjmg67cg said:
I tend to find that a lot of new 'plastic' (lets call it what it is) road bikes are soulless and leave me feeling cold :(

Here is a £3699 example :facepalm:

......added the finishing touch.

Attachments

• sp642-1.jpg
    sp642-1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 302
there is nothing worse that the wavey tube stylng of the pinarello dogma and that disgusting derosa Tango with the Fuji TT , cannondale slice RT and specialized zertz not far behind IMO

Attachments

• derosa tango.png
    derosa tango.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 296
  • dogma.png
    dogma.png
    37 KB · Views: 296
  • fuji tt.png
    fuji tt.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 296
  • slice.png
    slice.png