Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Amazingly, I actually finished rotavating last night. We have never finished this so late in the year. Once I get back from a ride, I will clean and oil the thing and put it away for the year.

I am going to try nicotine on the flea beetles. The sods have it coming. It really does look as if some creative type has taken a pair of serrated scissors to the leaves of all my peas and beans. If nicotine worked for the KGB in pure form as an assassination weapon, it'll do in the beetles in dilute form. As a bonus it might get the kids addicted to veg!

Other than that, we have potatoes up along with beetroots, salad and various other stuff in seedling form. I will dig the runner bean trench as well later.

Iwasgoodonce":57j4w0v8 said:
Amazingly, I actually finished rotavating last night. We have never finished this so late in the year. Once I get back from a ride, I will clean and oil the thing and put it away for the year.

I am going to try nicotine on the flea beetles. The sods have it coming. It really does look as if some creative type has taken a pair of serrated scissors to the leaves of all my peas and beans. If nicotine worked for the KGB in pure form as an assassination weapon, it'll do in the beetles in dilute form. As a bonus it might get the kids addicted to veg!

Other than that, we have potatoes up along with beetroots, salad and various other stuff in seedling form. I will dig the runner bean trench as well later.

Sounds like you're well on top of things like me!

I'm off to the lotty later today to get more 1st earlies in, clear/dig more ground for the 2nds, etc, and also prepare ground for all the onions & garlics. I've had to plant up some peas, beans and other stuff in big tubs at home to speed things along.

My trusty old Mantis Tiller is residing sadly at the back of my shed at home, still encrusted from work a few years back – when I have some spare time one day I might strip and clean it. The Mantis is no good for the soil on our current site with is heavy gooey clay soil – mud in winter, concrete the rest of the year.

Good luck with those pesky flea beetles.

TheGreenRabbit":j3ebpibi said:
Sweet peas in and cosmos planted, along with weeding and watering yesterday. No time today as i am off the the Chelsea flower show for press day.

Sounds like a grand day out – enjoy press day. Give us a wave if you're on the telly!

Too busy at work this year for Chelsea, but I'm off to Hampton Court.

Good to see everyone is miles ahead of us :roll:

Like the idea of making veg highly addictive, our '2nd born' does a really good version of The Exorcist at the sight of veggies :LOL:

Here are some piccies, including the inner sanctum, bind weed roots which i have in excess if anyone wants some and a mysterious burnt patch of allotment. UFO landing site?

How was Chelsea Flower Show Green Rabbit?

Bagpuss where are you?

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 178
That looks a monster rotavator, Karl.

We picked our first radish yesterday! We too have bindweed, as it has migrated in from the plot next to one of ours. I'm digging it up and weed killing whenever it pops up. It does come back but always a lot weaker.

The History Man":3nd35rbc said:
Shed sharing. Share your shed! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=256540

I shall take some tasteful pictures of both allotment sheds for you...

Mark - a beast of a machine that stopped working today :cry: So spades out again! Bindweed is getting an absolute soaking in weedkiller and is starting to wither. Produce already? Has Codsall been transported south?

More piccies...Green stuff coming up :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 171
Karl, get some peas growing. Your young 'un will soon get into picking and eating fresh peas. My son was that used to it he started on eating some he 'found' at a show as a toddler. Luckily they had already been judged!

Back