1971 Carlton Competition

Rustyretro

Dirt Disciple
Here's my 1971/2 Carlton Competition, which I picked up as a frame with a few components on it from Ebay
I'm told these were supplied as a frame only, so I have fitted period components, except for the wheels which are 700c Rigidas which I had to redish with a 7 speed block.
I repainted it with rattle cans and had to source the decals from multiple places
I've a few final touches to finish off, but she's nearly there

Frame & Fork: 531
Stem: GB
Handlebar: GB
Brake Levers: Weinmann
Brake Calipers: Universal 61
Shifters: Campag
Front Derailleur: Campag Record
Rear Derailleur: Campag Gran Sport
Cranks: Stronglight 49D
Pedals: SR SP150
Saddle: Brooks

Attachments

• photo 5 (2).JPG
    photo 5 (2).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,489
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,490
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,494
That looks very nice indeed. Nice colour combination and the elegant sweep of those front forks puts the clumsy 'straight leg' modern stuff in the shade. Great work.

That looks just like I remember them, the wheels look spot on :)

Carlton's always had a touch of class and chrome, made them easier to sell :D

Shaun

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm hoping to take it out for a good long ride soon, although it's going to be a fair weather bike, having put all that work in.
Any tweaks you would suggest if I put it in for BOTM?

Handlebar tape looks a bit thick for '71. non-adhesive Bluemells or Tressostar cloth tape might be more period?

Shaun

Midlife":2mr78ac4 said:
That looks just like I remember them, the wheels look spot on :)

Carlton's always had a touch of class and chrome, made them easier to sell :D

Shaun

Couldn't agree more. :cool:

Midlife":23yr0j0c said:
Handlebar tape looks a bit thick for '71. non-adhesive Bluemells or Tressostar cloth tape might be more period?

Shaun

x2 - cloth tape for that genuine retro bar feel! :)

On a very picky thing the front part of the front mudguard is pointing a bit skyward........loosen the stays and try and make the mudguard mirror the curve of the wheel....... Then my boss made me cut off the stays at the nut so no more adjstment could be carried out LOL

Shaun

Midlife":2mkey96u said:
On a very picky thing the front part of the front mudguard is pointing a bit skyward........loosen the stays and try and make the mudguard mirror the curve of the wheel....... Then my boss made me cut off the stays at the nut so no more adjstment could be carried out LOL

Shaun
Thanks Midlife, I'll do that. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting the rear mudguard to follow the line of the wheel. The gap at the front arcs out quite a bit. Its clipped on to the bar between the stays with the correct clip. Is this normal or any suggestions?

Back