Stripping carbon fork

lewisfoto

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I have never stripped the paint off of carbon so: any problems with bead blasting; is chemical stripper ok, what should I look out for?

Steven

Chemical stripper will strip the epoxy too, so, no. Google 'Carbolift' for your only real option in this field.

Bead blasting will leave you with a lovely frame, with a hole through the centre of it. The only blasting that should be done on carbon is Soda blasting.

Why do you want to strip? If it's to repaint, just rough up the existing paint and go over it.

Someone managed to strip a Cannondale raven with a Stanley knife, didn't work well on my OCLV.

Elbow work is the key.

I've had success using this stuff from B&Q. Water based, so pretty benign to use.
Similar process to Carbolift. Slather it on, wrap it in cling film overnight to stop it drying out, wash off in the morning, repeat if necessary.

ecohs.jpg

All the best,

If be very careful using any strippers. The polyurethane finished on modern bikes is chemically quite similar to the epoxy matrix used in C.F, so what strips one is liable to strip another.

Rub down by hand would be my favourite, followed by a layer of isolating primer.

Thanks to all for the advise, No this is not a pace fork it is a Litespeed that I want to color match with a frame

Chopper1192":28z35mxz said:
If be very careful using any strippers. The polyurethane finished on modern bikes is chemically quite similar to the epoxy matrix used in C.F, so what strips one is liable to strip another.

Rub down by hand would be my favourite, followed by a layer of isolating primer.

yes - i'd would sand off the coat than trust chemicals unless they are specific for the purpose.

I sanded my Boardman team carbon down (cant stand the HUGE graphics on bikes nowadays) and matt black stealth'ed it. As long as your careful it's pretty easy to do. I used wet and dry 240 in the bath :cool: just making sure I kept it wet. Just be careful not to go too far, one tiny 4x2mm part I went too far and revealed some fibre. Took me about an hour or so but there wasn't much paint on it so most of the time was going through the transfers.

My raven had been laquered over the old laquer at some point and the new stuff was flaking and looked a right mess.
Started rubbing it down but was taking a life time to get through the new layers.
Saw thread by bobber showing how he removes the laquer from his. Basicaly he cuts down to the carbon with a stanley blade and then slices the layers of paint/laquer off the carbon.
Bit scary but thought i would give it a go.
Again was taking me bloody ages and due to the ravens shape some parts were a nightmare.
Annoyed with a stubborn bit a started scratching at the laquer with stanley blade and it worked a treat. Best way to describe it is like planing some wood lol

Back