Low stack height stem

Roly

Old School Hero
Hi there
I'm after a stem with a really low stack height i.e about 30mm?
Wotcha got?

Roly, owner of a really short steerered fork!

I've waved a tape measure near it today and the exposed steerer is abooooooooooout 24mm.
I wonder how much those DMR ones are...

Roly":5ncom4nw said:
I've waved a tape measure near it today and the exposed steerer is abooooooooooout 24mm.
I wonder how much those DMR ones are...

You need a Crank Bros headset then, with a 20mm stack height.

If he has 24mm from top race a 30 mm will do as you don't want top of steerer above stem and need bit below top to get it fitted you could get away with with a thicker one if stuck as long as the top caps expander is inside steerer ok(if you had 20mm and went with a 40+ thick stem you could have problem's but 10 mmish +/-is ok from top of steerer tube to top of stem.
The main thing is that it's above top line of stem line ie where it goes to bars plus being low/on top of top crown less leverage on steerer tube.
The only time it's a problem if your jumping/pulling up on bars type of thing but then you'd not be using ali/carbon steerer's.

zaskar.le":38314tyi said:
If he has 24mm from top race a 30 mm will do as you don't want top of steerer above stem and need bit below top to get it fitted you could get away with with a thicker one if stuck as long as the top caps expander is inside steerer ok(if you had 20mm and went with a 40+ thick stem you could have problem's but 10 mmish +/-is ok from top of steerer tube to top of stem.
The main thing is that it's above top line of stem line ie where it goes to bars plus being low/on top of top crown less leverage on steerer tube.
The only time it's a problem if your jumping/pulling up on bars type of thing but then you'd not be using ali/carbon steerer's.
Dangerous advice!
(even if you can understand it)

Well don't forget when you tighten up it pulls down on bearings so it increases slightly(well only been in the trade 30 years so what do i know?)

Spank spike at 26mm I believe. I run one as I have the same trouble. Solved all issues. Hope headset is 30mm stack also? (but obviously better than the CB one, trade off).

handle_bar_stem.jpg

yeah, most modern BMX stems could do the job, but they only generally come in fairly short reach and (I think) with non OS bar clamps (or even 22.2mm)

s780_92133570_1262030021.jpg

Back