No power from freshly bled Deore disc brakes?

Houlio99

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,

I've just bled the rear Deore disk brake caliper and re assembled. The leaver is nice and firm, the pads aligned and moving as they should be, but there is no power when the leaver is pulled hard. Just an annoying squeal and the wheel keeps moving.

Have been pretty carefull not to get brake fluid on the pads.

Any suggestions on where I'm going wrong?

JT

It sounds like contaminated pads unfortunately. Easily done. Clean the disc properly and try new pads

There's oil somewhere.
Try brake cleaner, and then get them red hot.
If that doesn't work, new pads time.

indeed - if lever is firm, then pads (most likely) and or disc is contaminated - even new pads and disc will stop to some extent.

clean discs with a solvent e.g. paraffin, petrol although methelated spirits is best. rub down surface of pads with medium wet'n'dry and try again. if still no joy, place under a grill, friction pad side up for about 5 mins and try again. if that fails, bin the pads and fit new ones.

nb the brake baking trick goes back many years ; you can stick them in gas hob burner and can see the contaminent, if thre is anhy, bubble out and burn off.

re: b) Then, using pliers, hold them in a blue gas flame (hob or blowtorch) until they stop burning yellow. I'd keep em in the heat for another minute or so after that. Don't use the most fierce setting on your blowtorch, A gentle blue flame is all you need. Do not use a yellow flame, you'll soot up your pads.

see: b) Then, using pliers, hold them in a blue gas flame (hob or blowtorch) until they stop burning yellow. I'd keep em in the heat for another minute or so after that. Don't use the most fierce setting on your blowtorch, A gentle blue flame is all you need. Do not use a yellow flame, you'll soot up your pads.

nothing to lose but a few pence in gas and time.

Thanks for the suggestion, flame grilling the pads certian;y improved them but they aren't perfect. Might give them another blast.

Much appreciated,
JT

Back