Replacing mech limit screws with something more colourful?

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Has anyone got any experience with replacing the mech limit screws (front and rear)? Seems an obvious place to put a little splash of colour (once the QRs, seatclamp etc are done!) but I don't recall seeing any bikes with these replaced. I've ordered a few anodised M4 bolts anyway so I'll give it a go once they turn up, but would be interested to hear of any experiences and see photos!

Re: Replacing mech limit screws with something more colourfu

Before you do that, bear in mind that a if you strip or break one of those flimsy anodized bolts you will render the derailleur useless. The stock screws are steel for a reason.

mechagouki":1y59d6ol said:
The stock screws are steel for a reason.
If you've ever tried to turn a stock screw that became stuck in its thread, you'll know that they're actually made of cheese. Seriously, it's just as easy to ruin a stock screw.
I have had this happen to one of my mechs, a nice M730. I ended up adjusting it by filing the stops on the inside of the mechanism. If I ever need to move it to a different frame, there's a high probability that I'll need to ditch the mech indeed.

no - sram x0 mech use aluminium alloy screws and without looking, I think they, and shimano - screw into a plastic plate which is there to stop them undoing - need to check that. there should be no problem with them seizeing.

A well timed reply - just finished the bolts on the rear mech right now. Quite pleased with it, though I might put the standard tension screw back on, perhaps one red bolt too far as it sticks out at a different angle from the limit screws. (Maybe the cable bolt as well.) Thanks to all for the replies so far!

Attachments

• XTR Rear Red2.jpg
    XTR Rear Red2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 418
  • XTR Rear Red1.jpg
    XTR Rear Red1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 418

I approve.... and would approve even more when you fit a pair of these in red!!

PS I'm using alloy bolts for the cable clamps on both mechs.

1361351437-04493300.jpg

Go for stainless or Ti grub screws :

DSC06343.jpg

DSC06669.jpg

DSC06745.jpg

WD :D

I used some Ti bolts for mine, look nice too. found em on fleabay...

They were 20mm long so I cut them down to a suitable length, the bolt heads on these also are the same diameter as the original screws... bonus!
for example purple...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-Bolt ... 2a0cb6d3cf

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 367
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size are we talking about for those limit screws again? And I assume the cabel clamp bolt is an M6?
I'm in the situation where my main MTB is "finished" and my attention is now turning to the details (aka more ways to blow money on small, costly, and irrellevant parts! :LOL: ).

This is turning into a very Bling thread, can you replace the three bolts holding your dropouts on with Ti ones as well?

Back