HELP: Rear wheel keeps coming out of drop outs...

legrandefromage":3d3l5dmb said:
nobody has looked at the fact that the axle maybe sitting ever so slightly proud of the frame making any q/r attach itself to the wheel rather than the frame

I am using modern wheels with their q/r's in a 40 year old frame with its horizontal drop-outs with no issues

a sortof googly image to show what I mean:

photo5at.jpg

Hi Legrandefromage,

Yes Robbied196 suggested I check this - which I did last night. Each axle end has about 1.25mm before the end of the dropout so I think it should be fine?

It definitely felt like the skewer got a good clamp. I removed some of the paint from both sides of the dropout area (specifically where the skewer "teeth" will contact).

I also ordered a set of Shimano internal cam skewers. I also ordered a couple of Sturmey Archer serrated washers with 9.5mm dropout slots. Only a couple of quid so might give them a go too. I assume they are around 1mm thick, so that would give extra room between the axle end and outside of the dropout.

So I am hoping that the new skewers combined with better contact with the dropout, and the serrated washer if need be - should be enough to fix the problem.

There is nothing more disconcerting than cycling with the feeling that your rear wheel could unattached itself at any moment - well, except a front wheel I suppose. I like my wheels to stay in place!

Thanks for all the help I will update you when the new parts arrive.

N

i'm surprised your road wheels are 135mm width - this is mtb width. If its true, there maybe something funny about those wheels and are you having to spring the frame apart to get the wheel in. Or maybe you slightly mis measured and its all 130??

Is the frame in line and the wheel dished correctly, or is the wheel (hub) finding its own centre line, and something (the rim) gets misaligned,

pigman":1z9jsiq3 said:
i'm surprised your road wheels are 135mm width - this is mtb width. If its true, there maybe something funny about those wheels and are you having to spring the frame apart to get the wheel in. Or maybe you slightly mis measured and its all 130??

Is the frame in line and the wheel dished correctly, or is the wheel (hub) finding its own centre line, and something (the rim) gets misaligned,

There are 135mm OLN 700c wheels on most hybrid bikes as standard. My new touring frame also is 135mm spacing which is a real bugger as I didn't expect it before I bought it then found out my handbuilt touring wheels didn't fit!

riddim-track":2v40x5z8 said:
There are 135mm OLN 700c wheels on most hybrid bikes as standard. My new touring frame also is 135mm spacing which is a real bugger as I didn't expect it before I bought it then found out my handbuilt touring wheels didn't fit!
aye, but the OP mentioned carbon hoops (aka wheels in my old-boy language) so I'm assuming road/racing wheels, not hybrids or tourer wheels, so I stand by my questions

pigman":1h1n00sy said:
riddim-track":1h1n00sy said:
aye, but the OP mentioned carbon hoops (aka wheels in my old-boy language) so I'm assuming road/racing wheels, not hybrids or tourer wheels, so I stand by my questions

Yeah, good point, I stand corrected

Hi Pigman and Ridim-track,

Thanks for the comments. I mistyped the above - the hub is 130 road, and the axle is 135 tip to tip. Yes, I had to spread the drops for it to fit - but I have now machined down a large spacer on the hub NDS and also machined the axle so that the wheel slots nicely into my drops with no need to spread, and everything is centred.

Obviously this is a permanent move and I would need to re-lace the rim onto a new 130mm hub if I ever wanted to use that wheel on my modern alloy frame.

But I'm a retro convert now and no going back!

N

N

You have caught the bug!!! The addiction starts now. Oh and hi from Ballymena!!! There must be at least 5 or 6 Norn Iron RBers now.

Richard

Cheers Richard,

Yes I'm already wondering how I could justify a 3rd bike (vintage of course). I'm based in Bangor and usually head down towards Portaferry on a run. Nice part of the world although I'm sure you have some nicer roads where you are. You doing the Causeway Coast Sportive this year?

N

Um,

No!!! I have got caught with the RB bug in the garage and i have been complaining a lot recently about my lack of actual cycling. We had one good day this week and i spent it around the house - cutting grass and tidying up outside etc - usual Ballymena summer - 1 day!! So i need to get a balance between being in the garage and getting out on the bikes - oh and all the other house related things that need done - like fence painting etc!!!

Just regarding the roads here - i have seen better roads on Top Gear's African challenges than there are around Ballymena. There is one good stretch near me - 1/2 a mile of new surface but i do not think i would like to go up and down if for 10 miles and the local householders may be concerned!!!!!

If you are ever up my way, the kettle will be on.

Richard

Yea,

Friday was our good day here, and I also spent it cutting the grass - which had started to look like a wild meadow. Both bikes are out of action at the minute anyway so I was happy enough to get jobs done. Just as well I did on Friday as yesterday was horrible.

Maybe its just roads in Norn Iron in general . The amount of potholes down here is shocking and I know the roads service aren't repairing holes of a certain depth - which is all very well when you are in a car, but on a bike is a different story!

N

Latest posts

Back