1993 custom Kona Explosif

Josh#78

Kona Fan
Hi mates;

I just would like to share with you all my "adventure" that took almost one year to build up my dream.

Well, I think it´s important to explain that this project started for the following reason: I started racing on 1993, when I was 14, with a white Kona Lava Dome which my father bought with lots of economical efforts on that moment. Then, I just had the option of dreaming with the incredible parts and bikes I used to see on the magazines and so on. I still can remember myself sleeping with the ´93 Kona catalogue under my pillow...on teh spanish adverts, the slogan was "When a bike dreams, dreams that she´s a Kona". It sounded really nice to us.
And my dream was, owning an incredible Kona Explosif.

Now, this bike at my home. Yes, 20 years later, but I still have the same feeling I had on that time.

It took me, as I said almost one year. Many many hours spent "diving" on the internet, buying and selling parts here at RB, the spanish Foromtb.com and the eBay. Also, I had to find the correct person to repaint the frame, do some trips around Spain to collect and exchange parts...yes it was tough, but at the same time exciting.

The most difficult parts to find were; the Rock Shox SL Ti forks, the Disk Drive wheel and the frame (finally I had to buy a complete bike, then split it to get cash and buy other components).

Then I was collecting the parts at my living room step by step, trying to think how the bike should look chromatic wise, and remembering those components I was dreaming about 20 years ago.

So the result is as follows. Please note that the following pics are not definitive, as I took hem with my smartphone. The pedals are still missing and there are some little details that have to be finished.

If someone does understand a little bit of spanish, or just want to follow all my work step by step with pictures and so on, here´s the link to my post at the spanish Foromtb: http://www.foromtb.com/showthread.php?t=972539

Hope you like it, as I also I´m enjoying it. First pictures with all the splitted on my living room´s couch:

Attachments

• Cuadro y horquillapk.jpg
    Cuadro y horquillapk.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Detalles2pk.jpg
    Detalles2pk.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Detalles1pk.jpg
    Detalles1pk.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,393
  • Panoramica2pk.jpg
    Panoramica2pk.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,393
  • Panoramica1pk.jpg
    Panoramica1pk.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,394
And here´s how SHE looks. As I said, these pics are not definitive as I like to share with you the result as soon as possible. I promise better pics with a professional camera.

Attachments

• Explosif pk3.jpg
    Explosif pk3.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Explosif pk6.jpg
    Explosif pk6.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • Explosif pk5.jpg
    Explosif pk5.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 1,392
  • Explosif pk2.jpg
    Explosif pk2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,390
:cool: what a great story :cool: ..bike looks great my friend..great build.."the best comes to those who wait" :cool:

Ernie ;)

Lovely looking steed that, with some choice parts. I would have thought you would have gone with Marzocchi forks, as Kona favoured these?
Rear Cassette looks on the big side? What is it 11-32?
Love the colour, is it paint or powder coat?.

Back