BoTM May 13- Kona vs GT vs Specialized Special - Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BoTM May 13- Kona vs GT vs Specialized Special - Nominat

John":1l9hopgv said:
Gravy Monster":1l9hopgv said:
A month with side pull calliper brakes only , that would be cool :cool:

Sidepull vs rollercam. Think embassies would end up getting involved.

Pre suspension. My favorites.

al-onestare":2qvqhx1s said:
Did either of you read my post? Its about sole ownership ie: you, me, him other there vs. organisations. The scenario uses rarity and other factors as an example and neither are exclusive to either party but one could say organisations have more of an advantage. How would we feel if we saw more museums, stores or even god forbid manufacturers entering this competition? Would that represent a fair playing field or be in the spirit of the competition?

For me personally, I don't think it matters who is submitting the bike. I wouldn't say they have much of an advantage depending on what pulls at your heart strings when you vote.

The PC Ned bike, while undoubtedly cool, was pretty much handed over to them as a complete bike ready for hanging on a wall. Doesn't get me as excited as a years or months long project finally completed and taken out for a ride and enjoyed as originally intended. The hint of it being for sale doesn't make me want to vote for it either. EDIT: looks like no longer for sale

First Flight has an army of bikes and they submit every so often. I don't recall them winning every time or blowing away the competition either.

If that kind of restriction needs to be made, then so be it...but there are enough guys out there who can beat the big boys.

The advantage that the lone retrobiker has against the big collectors/shops/museums is passion.
There is always going to be winners in some months with an ex-pro bike or a one off wonder and deservedly so, but there is an equal amount of amazing builds of more normal bikes whose attention to detail and back story is wonderful.
The museums and manufacturers may have the priceless rare bikes but they don't have the stories such as "I always wanted this bike when I was 11" or "this bike was stolen from me" or "I'm restoring this to remember such and such a time".
My Kilauea cost me a huge amount of money to rebuild but its a personal thing to me. I will never sell it as it means a much to me - the Dave Lloyd was easy to sell in comparison!!

I don't think there's anything to worry about... ;-)

Rob Atkin":25we8nme said:
The advantage that the lone retrobiker has against the big collectors/shops/museums is passion.
There is always going to be winners in some months with an ex-pro bike or a one off wonder and deservedly so, but there is an equal amount of amazing builds of more normal bikes whose attention to detail and back story is wonderful.
The museums and manufacturers may have the priceless rare bikes but they don't have the stories such as "I always wanted this bike when I was 11" or "this bike was stolen from me" or "I'm restoring this to remember such and such a time".
My Kilauea cost me a huge amount of money to rebuild but its a personal thing to me. I will never sell it as it means a much to me - the Dave Lloyd was easy to sell in comparison!!

I don't think there's anything to worry about... ;-)

I am going to have to disagree with this. Our "museum" is driven by that exact passion. Under my desk is a collection of all the bike magazines from when I was a kid. I agree to disagree.

Go easy on the old girl... My brother's first proper mountain bike, bought new from Evans in 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Expert. When he got bored of it I had it off him and it became my first mountain bike. Got ridden loads, then went into hibernation for a few years before resurrection in her current form.

More story here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116446

I know a lot of you guys disapprove of single speed conversions, but as I said in the sparepartsycle thread the bike was mostly built using parts that were laying around not doing nowt! A little tweaked since the original rebuild but all the better for it I think. She gets ridden regularly and is the best at what she was built for, which is seafront promenade (posing) speeding :D

Let's see if this months BOTM thread can get back on course? Not perfect, no gears, a few dents here and there, best bike I own!!!

rumpfy":3bnca1en said:
al-onestare":3bnca1en said:
Did either of you read my post? Its about sole ownership ie: you, me, him other there vs. organisations. The scenario uses rarity and other factors as an example and neither are exclusive to either party but one could say organisations have more of an advantage. How would we feel if we saw more museums, stores or even god forbid manufacturers entering this competition? Would that represent a fair playing field or be in the spirit of the competition?

For me personally, I don't think it matters who is submitting the bike. I wouldn't say they have much of an advantage depending on what pulls at your heart strings when you vote.

The PC Ned bike, while undoubtedly cool, was pretty much handed over to them as a complete bike ready for hanging on a wall. Doesn't get me as excited as a years or months long project finally completed and taken out for a ride and enjoyed as originally intended. The hint of it being for sale doesn't make me want to vote for it either. EDIT: looks like no longer for sale

First Flight has an army of bikes and they submit every so often. I don't recall them winning every time or blowing away the competition either.

If that kind of restriction needs to be made, then so be it...but there are enough guys out there who can beat the big boys.

Thank you, thats a really well reasoned, constructive response, and ditto to Rob. I see your way of thinking and if thr balance remains as is then I agree it's not bother. It's good to know where the land lies with our creator and I hope the good nature of the competition continues for many years to come!

I don't normally like singlespeed stuff, but I like that!

Thanks Rob, nice to see someone is actually looking at the bikes on this thread :roll:

theproscloset":2erf5jkw said:
Rio":2erf5jkw said:
Nick, if the Ned bike is your private property, you could always enter it undrr your name. Great bike, and I'm happy you entered it. Just the pros closet logo feels a bit spamish for me...

We are here to be an asset and don't want to complicate things... if it is spammy to add these bad ass race bikes that are owned from TPC then we will keep them off the forum. Thought it would add value and didn't mean to spam anyone. Sorry...//nm

It's not spammy to to add "these bad ass bikes", it's great, thanks. But I agree with Rio, it is spam to put a huge logo on it followed up with the link to the store (not museum) and then trolling for more.

theproscloset":2erf5jkw said:
We are currently curating these authentic race bikes to be display in our "museum". We are looking for collectors who have these bikes and sourcing them to be on display both on our site as well as our showroom.

I think it's great that your company supports this place! Personally I'd rather see you post a photo of the bike without the logos and if it's your passion driving things, "I" statements rather than "we".

:LOL: We get one of Deadly's actual M2's in BOTM, a piece of XC racing history. What better story than that.... and people start to moan, oh the injustice of it all :roll: Guess some people would rather not see legendary bikes like this on here then?
It's only not fair because I don't live in Colorado:D . Thanks Nick...keep 'em coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back