did i just buy a carrera krakatoa ?

well i was sat thinking last night that i had just thrown £25 in the bin or i had a mission on my hands to get the seat post out, ( caustic soda sounds good ) but then i realised alls not lost, plan B is now to strip some of the low end parts off the bike and use them as a temperary solution to build my technium and get that finished and useable and as time goes on i can replace the parts as and when with the xt parts i had in mind for the build, and source another hack frame for a build using the carrera parts once the technium is finished :D

even if you do transplant, surely worth try to get the post out

why not try cutting it with a hacksaw blade from the inside of the seat tube, so long as you go steady you shouldn't damage the frame

once you have a strip out your on the way

xxnick1975":2yziuw5f said:
even if you do transplant, surely worth try to get the post out

why not try cutting it with a hacksaw blade from the inside of the seat tube, so long as you go steady you shouldn't damage the frame

once you have a strip out your on the way
your thinking the same way i am ;) im not going to just bin it and find another frame i will give it a couple of days work on trying to get the post out before i give up on the bike, carrera or not its still worth some time and effort

kingoffootball":3mlul38y said:
Jump straight to the inevitable caustic soda - quick, easy fun ... what's not to like?

is it easy?

looks like the solution spits everywhere.

how messy is it?

caustic soda ive used in the past for cleaning ovens so know it works well as a cleaner but never tried it on alloy but willing to give it a go if all else fails, im going with the hack saw bit first and some well aimed drilling down the side of the post, anythings worth a try to save the frame from the scrap heap.
had a look at the link nick cheers for that :D

It's got crackle drip paint you gotta save it, you don't seem many of those late 80's early 90's jobs around now...I've used the hacksaw method before and its fairly easy just slowly slowly catch a monkey, will caustic damage the paint?

It doesn't have to be messy - when I did it, I was having the frame repainted, so didn't bother about it going on the frame, but it would have been easy to be careful enough.

Only problem is if you do it on your patio the part you spill it on gets really clean and you then have to clean to rest (with more caustic soda and a pressure washer)!

I had this very model. Fell in love with it at the halfords in Rochdale. Dad bought me an 18" with 300lx groupo. I was 13 at the time. It weighed a ton (actually 2). Took it to our usual biking quarry and snapped the frame clean in two. Top tube if I remember correctly. Halfords offered me a cash replacement so I upgraded to a Dawes Rocky Trail with Exage trail group. They only had one in a 21" frame which didn't bother me at the time.... (face palm). But that's another story. If your bought this for fitness you chose the right model. That is if you can get it going!

Back