Jason McRoy's specialized from dirt

JustKev":z427onzt said:
Rick Draper":z427onzt said:
I just see it as been a riders bike that was big on the UK stage and pretty small on the big stage. Tragically killed on his motorbike and thats what made him far more famous.

:roll:

Were you actually interested in or following MTB racing in the early to mid nineties?

Rick Draper":z427onzt said:
I expect a lot of people dont share my view.

I expect the majority don't care for your view.

I actually met him once and have a signed poster as I imagine thousands did in the early 90's from one of those big shows in the early 90's that MBUK iirc used to organise in London.

I dont care for your view on him at all. He is regarded in far higher stead these days because of his tragic death and people getting all doe eyed about what could have been.

I just see it as been a riders bike that was big on the UK stage and pretty small on the big stage. Tragically killed on his motorbike and thats what made him far more famous. I expect a lot of people dont share my view.

This makes me feel very sad after a hard days work.

Rick i must say you are rather wrong on this.

JMC was idolised, revered, respected, admired, call it what you will, prior to his death for his talent and for being a thoroughly top bloke.

His death was a tragedy but that has nothing to do with why he is a hero to so many still. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I wouldn't say I idolised Jason but he was easily my favourite rider for a few years before I realised he had died.

If anything back then for me as a young teen, the idea of someone dying didn't make them stand out more, lack of attention span would have just made me forget and onto the next thing.

Apart from JMC and Palmer, I found MTBing fairly boring with no style. Couldn't relate to any of the mags apart from some issues Dirt I guess.

Hell, maybe if JMC hadn't have died, he'd have been team mates with Palmer in the late 90s.

Emoco":2ous3bvy said:
I wouldn't say I idolised Jason but he was easily my favourite rider for a few years before I realised he had died.

If anything back then for me as a young teen, the idea of someone dying didn't make them stand out more, lack of attention span would have just made me forget and onto the next thing.

Apart from JMC and Palmer, I found MTBing fairly boring with no style. Couldn't relate to any of the mags apart from some issues Dirt I guess.

Hell, maybe if JMC hadn't have died, he'd have been team mates with Palmer in the late 90s.

I suspect, he wouldn't have been a five minute wonder though... :cool:

For me and most of the people I rode with JMC was an MTB hero in the early 90's, proper MTB legend! The bikes, the riding, the style... he was just cool. I remember the first time I met him he was on his Harley and was in specialized casual clobber top to bottom, the guys were talking about a sponsorship from vidal sassoon (hair sponsorship) although I can't remember what actually happened with that.
Might be mistaken but I'm sure there were more than just one hardtail and one full sus that he had, there always used to be one of them in at NWMTB at the weekends I worked there. Remember him being in one day and we'd been building up cheap Raleigh's for the shop, he jumped on this massive 21" thing to quickly test ride it and pulled a huge manual across the carpark... so cool.
There's always the possibility there was more than one ht he used in for the Dirt shoot!
Anyway here's my signed card, hung up in the bike shed:

I could never be 100%. But being around at the time, with all of the magazines, the original video and being obsessed with this bike (later building/painting a GT to a similar spec') at the time. And still to this day. I would say this is not the actual bike as used in the film.

There are various spec' differences for a start. But also the graphics are different. For example- The JMC in the video are white (or appear so from memory). Not black. And I may even go so far as to say the size is different too.
I really think it is 'one' of a couple of bikes he owned and in fact his 'race' bike. The one used in the video and seen in the photographs, not just from the DIRT shoot is probably a training spare.

Anyway. Whatever. It's still one of JMC's and I want it so much it hurts!

Anyone know what happened to this? Would be cool to see some betters pics with the correct seat and some decent pedals.

Maybe even see some footage of them doing one footed manuals down a grass hill ;)

Back