Readers Classic Motorcycles - Chat Photos Builds/Resto’s etc

ibbz":1saac4ys said:
Thanks man, CG125, cool, which year? And anything by Kawasaki I could look for?
I was also looking at some modern bikes, Chinese made called HMC Classic 125 - a copy of a triumph Bonneville - looks sweet and retro-ish, which I like!

Any year which suits your budget. Anything which hasn't done a million miles, and isn't falling apart. Personally, I think the pre-95 ones look nicer, but they're more likely to be knackered. Either that, or labeled as "classic" and overpriced, but you may find a gumtree gem.

The trouble with the chinese ones is they're not of the same quality as the real thing and they depreciate very badly. Kawasaki didn't really go in for the low capacity commuter market much, but have made some great trail bikes if you're into off-road styling. The trouble these days that anything which might be considered retro or classic will always have an inflated price!

andyz":3dj1mr08 said:
ibbz":3dj1mr08 said:
Thanks man, CG125, cool, which year? And anything by Kawasaki I could look for?
I was also looking at some modern bikes, Chinese made called HMC Classic 125 - a copy of a triumph Bonneville - looks sweet and retro-ish, which I like!

Any year which suits your budget. Anything which hasn't done a million miles, and isn't falling apart. Personally, I think the pre-95 ones look nicer, but they're more likely to be knackered. Either that, or labeled as "classic" and overpriced, but you may find a gumtree gem.

The trouble with the chinese ones is they're not of the same quality as the real thing and they depreciate very badly. Kawasaki didn't really go in for the low capacity commuter market much, but have made some great trail bikes if you're into off-road styling. The trouble these days that anything which might be considered retro or classic will always have an inflated price!

Thanks for that!
I will keep my eyes peeled and this thread updated too when (rather than if) I make my moves :)

Kawasaki KH 125 - any thoughts?
(Kawasaki as my brother had a 100cc one in 1986 I remember, may have been a 125cc not 100% sure)

ibbz":1hpg7ffk said:
Thanks for that!
I will keep my eyes peeled and this thread updated too when (rather than if) I make my moves :)

Kawasaki KH 125 - any thoughts?
(Kawasaki as my brother had a 100cc one in 1986 I remember, may have been a 125cc not 100% sure)

KH125 or 100 would be fine it you can find one! KC100 is a good rugged bike, they make a copy in India which is very popular. I have a book written by a guy who rode all around India on one!

daj":3p08x0c4 said:
Indian !! Enough said on that topic!! :LOL:

hehe!!! I suspected as much!
But they sure look good - I suppose they're more or less exact 'replica's' with the lineage and history too?

I have a mix of 70s/80s British and Japanese bikes in various project states :roll:

1984 GPz900R - on the road
1977 CB750K7 - running
1974 CB750K2 - rebuild in progress
1971 Triumph TR6/T140 bitsa - running
1974 Norton Commando Mk11a - completely and utterly in bits :LOL:

All are a hoot to work on and ride (apart from the Norton - haven't tried that yet) :D

Avoid all the Chinese lookalikes for the time being - their QC is simply rubbish, which is odd for a nation that prides itself on attention to detail in so many other areas.
A few years ago a local dealer had some for sale and we talked generally about them, during which he said he'd be unlikely to work on any of them due to crap spares, unreliability, and low value. In short he said they can be OK when new for a while, but treat them as disposable items!

Stick with the Bantam or CG125 ideas - cheap and plentiful supplies, spares, and knowledgeable internet mechanics :D

Its unfortunate that some small capacity classic Jap stuff is going for silly money nowadays - I've seen 70s 125s sell for in excess of £2,000 :shock:

Regarding tests/legislation - best contact your local training centre - the regs have changed substantially over the years and once you pass the compulsory CBT you are limited to capacity/horsepower levels, although there can be exceptions to this I think..........

Also - get onto this........ http://www.classicbikeforum.co.uk/

:xmas-big-grin:

ibbz":d3fexwjf said:
daj":d3fexwjf said:
Not a biker myself but deal with them daily working for the now only UK sidecar building company :D

More details please!! :D

I haven't seen a Side car for many a year!

The sidecar company wasn't near Bicester was it?

I crashed my hardly combo in to a brand spanking new TR7, i wrote it off, when he pulled out on me. Not exactly sure where it was, some where near Bicester. A bloke who stopped worked for a place that made sidecars and he had a van come collect my bike and they stored it for a week or so. It was one of the well know sidecar makers.

I had British bikes when you could walk onto any of the Boxhill caravan sites and find a British single that hadn't been ridden for a few years, offer a couple of quid and it was yours. I rode a lot of combos as a lot of cheap bikes came with sidecars.

I went over to the dark side for a few years, cars. Then went all japanese for a few years. I am back with a British bike but it's been in bits 4 years this year! Though I have a mate who crashed his Dommi[Norton] in 1976 and it's still in bits, he won't consider selling it. Mr Panda, if the Norton needs a loving home let me know. I had Dommis and an Atlas but always wanted a commando, I used to drink with a bloke with one, he always wanted to ride my 45, so I had to ride the commando;-) They were to expensive for me.

Attachments

• hardly.jpg
    hardly.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,509
Classic, reliable, easy to work on and can be ridden on L-plates. The price is a bit salty though - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Z50J-1978-Ori ... 1c26aa4113

I fancy one of the cheap Chinese copies of these and fitting a tuned 160cc motor in it. I'd love to do a m/cycle project but have no garage but I could build one of these in the house....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back