Any ideas how to date a Gnutti Brevete Italy crankset?

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
Hi can anybody help me identify the age of my Gnutti Brevete Italy crankset? will it be date stamped?

P1040325.jpg

Many thanks for your time

Neil

Have you seen this on Velobase?

Introduced in 1952 and the company stopped making bike bits sometime in the Sixties, but it appears information is sparse.

It may well be dated, but if it's not in a plain format then it seems you'll struggle to pin it down further.

Generally not sold in the UK after about 1955. I think I sold the last 50 from an importer, but there could have been a few old stock after. They were a cheap option. The original chainrings were rivetted and had badly shaped teeth, we used to file them to make them usable. Far better stuff was being produced by the mid 1950's.

Ive just noticed the chainrings are Simplex and the support arms are stamped E SIMPLEX Bie S.G.O.G??
Neil

P1050775.jpg

P1050774.jpg

P1050764.jpg

The original Gnutti chainrings were rivetted, in 47x50 and 48x51, could have been more. I saw the simplex rings, they were much more popular, usually on Stronglight steel cranks. In 1955 it was not common to change chainrings, and the 3 tooth difference would give 10 evenly spaced gear ratios.
It was about 1955 when Jean Robic started changing chainwheel gear ratios and had a wider difference on the chainrings.

Is that a JUY 543 rear mech Keith? I always fancied on of those BITD and only ever seen one of them - and that was last year!

I suppose that you could say that the bike was an 'Ancient Monument' these days!

If it's a daft question then sorry, but what's keeping that bike upright ? balanced on the toeclip?

Shaun

Shaun & Paul
Yes the famous 543, wish I still had it. And balanced on the toe clip.
This was the frame that I later converted by fitting the Paris Roubaix ends and gear system actually rode it in the Weston GP, with 14 to 24 and 47x50, using Campagnolo HB control front changer while the right hand undid the wheel, having to pedal forward to change, in a bunch that hastily allowed some space.
And they think a minimal crack in an alloy head tube is life threatening.
Generally my winter bike had my Q/R dynohub in a fiamme 14 ounce rim.
Frame by Queree Brothers Birmingham, with large brass letters brazed on the top tube.
Keith

Back