What Not To Do? Here come the MTB Style Police

Anything XTR on A Townsend or Apollo.

Rising a British Eagle Boss during the hours of darkness.

Suspension forks on non geometry corrected HT frames.

Triple clamps on frames never designed for it.

Any type of grip shift, unless you have a medical reason for such a system.

Labelling stuff as NOS simply because its still got a bit if a shine on it.

Exposed seat tube long enough to be confused for a 2 wheeled lamp post - just but a bike that fits.

Toe straps and clips, even if they are historically correct.

Girvin Flexstems - they may have been the must have back in the day, but they're still crap.

30 year old alloy frames - go read up on ductile limits.

Any Marin post Zolatone.

Coloured tyres.

Paper thin Selle Italian Turbo saddles for £50 - they were a tenner wen they hit Hellfrauds shelves in the late 80's, and they weren't all that back then, never mind with 20,000 miles on them.

Stupid asking price for irredeemably scuffed crap just because its XTR.

Wedge haircuts.

Sting back cycling mitts.

200GS shifters.

Rapid Rise.

£500 of Ringle on a £100 bike.

Paper thin rims described as 'anodising barely worn'

Headshock 'dales.

Early full suss.

I could go on, but apart from the list being inexhaustible a lot of hear strange peccadilloes are strangely fashionable in Retro MTB quarters today, so is be getting death threats.

I saw someone riding with no seat the other day? Just a post :shock: he was sat on the top tube though :LOL:

Chopper1192 typed:

Not sure what this has got to do with Style Police action, surely its more a safety issue and for that matter comes down to what the rider is prepared to risk. Never had an issue with my old alloy bikes :?

I think it was a cut and paste from the 'what annoys you' type thread of a few weeks back.

velomaniac":3e77e13i said:
Chopper1192 typed:

Not sure what this has got to do with Style Police action, surely its more a safety issue and for that matter comes down to what the rider is prepared to risk. Never had an issue with my old alloy bikes :?
This is very true. I shall confine my whittling to that which annoys me in the fashion faux pas sense.

Anything Proflex (cue horses head in my bed tonight).

Quill to A-Head adaptors.

Vintage carbon fibre accessories.

Those disc rear wheel covers - idont care if Elvis did own one, they're the cycling equivalent of stone lions at the end if your driveway.

External bearing BBs on Retro frames. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Dice valve caps.

Rebuilding a vintage or retro bike with cheap British fasteners that invariably have some kind of code nbwr embossed on the end. No, no, NO! Not looks so wrong.

Paul's Derailleurs. He cycling equivalent of a poorly fitting toupee.

Filthy dirty cassettes.

Vintage Ever Ready lights.

Whatleymeister":kpzcz154 said:
The History Man":kpzcz154 said:
I now know not to put bar ends on risers unless I want abuse :facepalm:
I have stubby bar ends on low(ish) rise bars to switch my hand positions on longer rides when I do them. I couldn't care less what people say! Function over form in some cases.

Stuff 'em. I have riser handlebars and full-on curved inwards bar ends. I like to be able to stretch out on hill climbs - and the bar ends also deflect branches, nettles and brambles away from your hands. Plus they are a convenient place to store your goretex mitts - if it actually gets warm enough to take them off.

Chopper1192":3oztwfss said:
Anything XTR on A Townsend or Apollo.

Rising a British Eagle Boss during the hours of darkness.

Suspension forks on non geometry corrected HT frames.

Triple clamps on frames never designed for it.

Any type of grip shift, unless you have a medical reason for such a system.

Labelling stuff as NOS simply because its still got a bit if a shine on it.

Exposed seat tube long enough to be confused for a 2 wheeled lamp post - just but a bike that fits.

Toe straps and clips, even if they are historically correct.

Girvin Flexstems - they may have been the must have back in the day, but they're still crap.

Any Marin post Zolatone.

Coloured tyres.

Paper thin Selle Italian Turbo saddles for £50 - they were a tenner wen they hit Hellfrauds shelves in the late 80's, and they weren't all that back then, never mind with 20,000 miles on them.

Stupid asking price for irredeemably scuffed crap just because its XTR.

Wedge haircuts.

Sting back cycling mitts.

200GS shifters.

Rapid Rise.

£500 of Ringle on a £100 bike.

Paper thin rims described as 'anodising barely worn'

Headshock 'dales.

Early full suss.

I could go on, but apart from the list being inexhaustible a lot of hear strange peccadilloes are strangely fashionable in Retro MTB quarters today, so is be getting death threats.

:facepalm:

Back