(SRAM) Mixing Old with the New, Cassette/Chain and Tuning ?

heavyp

Retro Guru
Im having a few issues with what gears to get on my Giant atx dh team, Im trying to build it up with parts from around 99/00.

I managed to get myself a sram 9.0 9 speed shifter (they did come with the sl but they were to long and the team never ran them), I couldn't find a Sram 9.0sl mech for a reasonable price so went with a Sram 9.0 which should be ok I hope.

Problem Im having is what cassette and chain to get, even thou these bikes came with the sram 9.0 components they only ran 8 speed which is what I would expect from that era but should I get a 9 speed cassette or will I have issues ?

If I go for an 8 speed cassette due I tune the mech to not drop the chain if I over shift and It goes to 9 ?

Should I just get this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits ... elID=89207

Re: Help with Cassette/Chain and Tuning ?

9 pretty sure the 9.0 and 9.0sl didn't come in 8 but for the era I thought they would of been but the only ones I found secondhand were all 9

cyfa2809":nkyrksby said:
I dont understand then. Run 9?

I know its strange the bikes were sold with sram 9.0sl on them but only had an 8 speed cassette

Oh that is odd. You should be able to limit it at one end or the other of the cassette without any issues.

If it really is a 9 speed shifter, then get a 9 speed cassette and chain. The cog spacing is different between 8 and 9 (4.8 compared to 4.35mm) and for the first time in its life it will be right.

If I get a newer model cassette like a 9 speed sram power glide 2 and a chain thats a bit more model, how will they fair with my older sram 9.0 esp rear mech and shifter ?

Re: (SRAM) Mixing Old with the New, Cassette/Chain and Tunin

I agree with cyfa as it should still work right with the adjusters as i'm running an old Sram 6 speed shifter with a 2012 Tourney 7-8 speed rear mech on a 6 speed SG freewheel and the chain is a UG if i remember rightly so unless you've got a badly worn mech or something i can't see their being any problems ..

Back