Who has owned their Retrobike from new?

I have had this Trek 990 from new circa 1995. It was built from a new frame and parts for the 1995 Race Season.

trek002.jpg

Full Spec here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=227225

i have owned this since new, the zzyzx forks were from the x-rage i had before this. infact the forks were so new into the uk when i bought them that i had to go and collect them from the mountain bike show at olympia exhibition hall london. direct from the hotlines stand.

brakes are hope were from the original build.
i had red bigun hubs in sun fat albert rims.
cranks were SACH ones can remember how i came to used them but they are still fitted to the bike today.
(reminds me i need to strip the bottom bracket, copper slip, refit)
chain device was one that i made and sold.. even had shown in a couple of mags at the time.

yes, I bought my '92 Marin Eldridge new.

The previous new bike I'd had was when I was 4 years old with stabalisers. After that the next bike I can remember is a horrendous second hand flat bar thing my dad got me when I was about 12 despite pleas to have something that was less degrading, this never really got used much, then couple years later I bought an old carlton that a teacher at school had had at uni. Well it was in a pretty bad state but did full resto on it including respray aged 15. Had that through college (on a fixed gear in 1986) and started work. Well after a stint abroad saving some cash I came back to UK, mtbs were increasingly popular, the carlton had died so I splashed out on the marin. As well as UK, it's lived in Poland, been cycled round the lakes in Northern Italy, across to Belgium - Ardenne, went into semi retirement for a while but beforehand I'd put most of the original bits that I still had back on, the only thing missing was the saddle, I'd even kept it's very first set of tyres, has come out of retirement but is now bit of a stretch and have moved to slightly smaller frames, but "the original" is still as marin intended at least for now....

8037246594_3b51fa3862_z.jpg

Re:

Thanks for this fc not seen this thread so will have a read. Oh and I still have my 97 heckler that I bought new. It’s evolved over the years but I’m actually in the process of putting it back to period(ish) speck that I wanted (but definitely couldn’t afford) bitd

Re:

I got my Spooky Bandwagon in 1999 and I still own it today (20 years later). It’s hung on the wall nowadays so isn’t used but I’d never sell it

All bicicles I owned in the 90´s had lot of wear, so I sold and I took a good example with low Km.

My oldest bicycle is the ETSX from 2007 despite my 2005 element has been bought this year New, so my oldest first owner bicycle is the newest :LOL:

'89 Brodie Romax - custom ordered/built for me by Brodie back in 1989 (wasn't cheap!) ... still have it; recently re-built the thing from the ground up.

Re:

Still have my ‘92 Orange Prestige, brought from new. Needs some tlc, but I have a replacement Xc Comp micro drive groupset as that was most worn. Paintwork has seen (much) better days but all the scratches and dings are all mine!

Back