Help for those living with new agers

dbmtb

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is a long shot - but I've not been able to find anything myself...

My missus seems to be getting more and more sucked into the psychotherapy/people who think they are channeling St Michael/crystals and pyramids- type stuff that she thinks makes you a better person but only ever costs money and makes you think of your own quasi-spiritual needs rather than living in the real world.

I love my wife to bits and I know she thinks that what she's doing is something that makes the world (and our world) a better place. But it's costing us money. It's driving a wedge between the two of us as I refuse to take part in what I consider to be a big pyramid-scheme cult-type scam or encourage her to do so.

I've googled for tips on how to cope with this and there's nothing. The only person I know who's been through this is now divorced.

Does ANYONE have any tips?

Get a dreamcatcher.

But seriously, how much spent compared to what she could be doing? Is it harmless at this point? Will it pass?

It's been going on for a few years and she's spent a hell of a lot on it. And it seems to be getting worse. Nothing whatsoever makes me think it's going to pass. I think it's going to get worse. And I know for sure that the ultimatum strategy would be a losing ticket.

My bike hobby has turned into my business and my knowledge of bikes has had its investment returned hundredfold just over the last 12 months.

Psychotherapy course £nearing double figure thousands and not a penny recouped in the consultations she was supposed to be giving.
Other courses and wotnot also £thousands

But really it's not the money as such. It's the whole thing that suggests that "those not involved" are at a lower spiritual level and it's the manipulation that's the problem. Her bloody mother and twin sister are also sucked into it so it's a no-win for me.

What I really need is coping strategies.

karma some bike bits out!!! if you can't beat 'em.......join 'em!

is it a hobby? there is a big social thing that goes with new age stuff. but dreads, making beads out of things found in spiritual places and being at one with the world is free! who is taking her money? seems she needs a bit of education into what is important in life, and what can't be bought.....if that makes sence.

its like new age religion,the harder you try to push them from it the harder they will resist.id suggest push her into it more for now,be supportive and i guarrentee she will lose interest.as for the money side a marriage is about treating each other with respect ,if thats lacking then move on and she can do her own thing .

Sounds tough Dave, hope you can work something out. Sure you have already considered such measures but have you looked into advice for those dealing with loved ones in cults and such like.

Back