looking to buy a Roadie bike

if it is your size I Like the Hetchins, the Mercian is also very interesting but the kit is a bit underwhelming.

The Hetchins Vade Mecum was the base model, the name sells it. The Mercian is the value because you have a bike to ride which can be improved. The Raleigh is a tank, and the Carlton is a cheap model.
I would suggest it's better to get a reasonable complete bike with a decent frame rather than an overpriced frame and buy individual parts.

You've found some interesting bikes :)

The Mercian looks the best of the bunch but I'd take that frame number 0129 and drop Mercian an email, I'd want to confirm that is a Mercian. They are always really helpful.

The Carlton doesn't have a great paint job and the lug lining is pretty poor.

The Raleigh is a tank but interesting, although a 3 speed Sturmey Archer gear is a completely different ride to a derailleur.

The Hetchins isn't cheap unless they will do something for cash? But then you have the sourcing parts and total cost problem.

Unfortunately, this may be to big but its nice and original:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Carlt ... 1e7a943d5e

This could be a hidden gem:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en
Campag, drillium, nice lugs

Its never straight forward :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thank you guys!
I'm slowly learning and beginning to recognise quality from cac.
I have been thinking about the whole thing, I want just ONE road bike, just one but I want it to be special.
So I think ill spend a whole lot more on a complete bike and a higher end one at that, a Hetchins, Mercian, top end Raleigh or other English make complete with fancy lug work! :)

So an actively looking.

Robbied196":dhssaf8z said:
You've found some interesting bikes :)

The Mercian looks the best of the bunch but I'd take that frame number 0129 and drop Mercian an email, I'd want to confirm that is a Mercian. They are always really helpful.

The Carlton doesn't have a great paint job and the lug lining is pretty poor.

The Raleigh is a tank but interesting, although a 3 speed Sturmey Archer gear is a completely different ride to a derailleur.

The Hetchins isn't cheap unless they will do something for cash? But then you have the sourcing parts and total cost problem.

Unfortunately, this may be to big but its nice and original:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Carlt ... 1e7a943d5e

This could be a hidden gem:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en
Campag, drillium, nice lugs

Its never straight forward :)

Thanks for that man!
I'm watching the white bike, looks gorgeous I hope it's my size, I'm 5'7" with short legs.
Unfortunately most for sale stuff looks far too big and fit for making me sterile

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Watch the local paper etc. I have bought several nice bikes that have been advertised as "gents racer". 531 is a good standard for a frame. Do a touch of research about Reynolds tubing and the various numbers that tell you what the frame might be like.
Avoid anything with those nasty suicide brake levers that activate the normal ones.
Several times 50 quid has got me a 531 frame and forks based bike.

I'm watching this thread with interest, as I have half a plan to build a 60's or 70's bike for 2014, and I'd like to pick up a few tips on what to look for.

It might be a good idea to call into a LBS and get measured for a road bike as the sizes are very different to mtb's.

NeilM":2yvk40iw said:
I'm watching this thread with interest, as I have half a plan to build a 60's or 70's bike for 2014, and I'd like to pick up a few tips on what to look for.

It might be a good idea to call into a LBS and get measured for a road bike as the sizes are very different to mtb's.

Nice one!
That's what u had in mind but have been slightly put off buying frame only and now am looking for a complete bike with the intention of perhaps changin a part here or there

Racers and tourers road bikes I have discovered are completely different to MTBs - totally.
More intricate more history and varied with so much more knowledge required in recognising qulity.

Whereas with mountain bikes it's all relative straight forward.
Classic road bikes aRe works of art

so much more knowledge required in recognising qulity.

Whereas with mountain bikes it's all relative straight forward.

Not necessarily. Just depends on what you are familiar with... beyond steel I am lost- You could show me ten mountain bikes for sale, or ten modern road bikes, and I am just as likely to buy the dog as anybody. Maybe it was a bit simpler, way back when?
I'll level with you.. the last time I went out of my way to buy a (secondhand) bike frame, for anything but basic transport/utility, was 1984- :shock: I knew the make and size from the advert. Apart from that, I had three questions to ask the seller: 531db? Campag. ends? Close clearance? Yes to all three.. I was in..
1975 was probably about the last year in which such a frame as I bought in 1984 could be considered the dog's bollocks- I didn't care- I was retro even then... :)

As NeilM said, check what size frame you need- that will save you one sort of red herring. This may help: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

For me, mtb's are easy, if they are hand made, steel and from the UK, then I'm happy.

Road bikes are a lot more difficult, as there are some excellent factory steel bikes, and some right clunkers, then there are the hand built bikes, but with so many makers through the years, who's hot and who's not, or who sold bikes under one name that were made by someone else (rather like many mtb's; UK company, frames made ....abroad).... and on and on, with fine names being bought up and then used as a brand for lesser models of the bigger manufacturers, Carlton, Falcon, etc, even Claude Butler. It is a real minefield for the unwary.

Of course, the fact that mtbs have only really been about since the late 1980's makes life easier, where as fine road frames have been around several decades longer. :facepalm:

Back