Imagine my horror - cracking Magura fork

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
There I am sorting out the old draggy Magura brake and then I see the cracks on the post mount of the fork...

It's 2010 Magura Thor, purchased NOS in December 2012. It's been used for 4 months, with 180mm rotor up front, with Magura MArta SL brakes fitted with Magura bolts to the specced torque. The forks been used for stuff it was designed for - all mountain, but I'm not talking massive drops, just fairly fairly hard riding up and down big hills.

Before this I had another Magura Thor 2010 fork fitted with the same set up, which I only swapped because i had severe damage to the stanchions from a crash onto some rocks. Post mounts and lowers on this are fine. It is pictured below on its own.

So, my question is: try the warranty path on the NOS fork, or just swap the lowers around from the other fork with the damaged stanchions?

The only possible thing I can think that I might have done is to put some medium loctite on the bolt threads, but surely that wouldn't force a crack, and in any case I've always done that with brake bolts.

Anyone got any advice or thoughts?

Thanks

Rich

Attachments

• Thor_cracks 007.JPG
    Thor_cracks 007.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 612
  • Thor_cracks 006.JPG
    Thor_cracks 006.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 612
  • Thor_cracks 005.JPG
    Thor_cracks 005.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 612
  • Thor_cracks 004.JPG
    Thor_cracks 004.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 612
  • Thor_cracks 003.JPG
    Thor_cracks 003.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Thor_cracks 001.JPG
    Thor_cracks 001.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 612
I suppose the quick solution is to swap the sliders from the older set of Thors, but if you bought them new (and have the documentation to verify this) then I'd be giving Magura a call and seeing what they can do. The last phone number I had for them was 07773 453681 but I haven't been in touch with them for a couple of years. Worth a try though.....

I've had a set of Phaons (IS mount) crack from the caliper mounting hole but I don't know if this is a known issue with their PM forks.

Thanks again Andy, especially for the contact details.
I was thinking the same about just swapping the old sliders across, but I did buy the fork new and I have the receipt, so I might give it a try. As I say, it's not something that has ever happened to me with any other fork.

Just out of curiosity - how deep are the tapped holes in the sliders and how long are the bolts that you're using? I was just wondering if there is scope for using longer bolts than those supplied (20mm?), even if only on a future set of sliders to help prevent the same issue recurring.

With the age since purchase you are covered by warranty I would have said. They may tell you to go back to the shop though with it being less than 12 months since purchase.

I'd definitely be getting in touch with Magura, especially as you bought the fork new and have used Magura bolts and calipers on the fork (they can't weasle their way out of it by claiming you used a different manufacturers stuff on them then!).

Supply any paperwork you have, and take/supply lots of photos too.

Good luck :D

not seen anything like that before - most problems are related to stripping the tyhreads in the bosses

Are they magensium lowers? I imagine the braking force is responsible for this, not any assembley issue - do Magura state maximum disc size? - I'd be surprised if 180 was too big for them.

Thanks for all the replies. I have sent an email with the above pictures attached to the retailer. We'll see what happens.

Due to the mounts on the Thor the smallest rotor you can use is 180mm and the maximum is 210mm. I don't know whether I just got a bad casting on this one as the other Thor I had was fine for two and a half years until I mangled a stanchion.

Back