NBD... New bike day ;) & questions

jamesxp

Retro Newbie
Not had any kind of bike for years... last one got stolen and never really thought about getting another but I'm back at with a recently purchased bike :)

Here it is in all it's glory:

it's a raleigh granada... unsure of age.... can you help?

SDC10013.jpg

shiney!

SDC10016.jpg

for the measly sum of £25

Needs two new tyres & inner tubes..

this is where you come in hopefully...

they are 27 inch wheels (630x32)

what tyres would reccomend to replace the old beaten ones with also what inner tubes (they have the thin style valve, presta I think?)

thanks alot for your help :)

£25 quid for a decent old bike seems buttons compared to some I've seen lately.

I myself can't help as I've never heard of the Granada but I'm sure some should know

Oh and welcome to the forum matey ;)

I'd guess pre-1990 as it has 27" wheels - but Raleigh did all kinds of odd stuff. Is it a 531 frame?

It looks like a nice do-anything sort of bike with rack and guards: light tours, long day rides etc.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
hamster":1ft9vw1s said:
I'd guess pre-1990 as it has 27" wheels - but Raleigh did all kinds of odd stuff. Is it a 531 frame?
I have a small collection of Raleigh brochures from the 1980s, the Granada appears in the 1987 edition, but not the 1988 or 1989 ones. For example only three touring bicycles appear in the 1989 brochure - the top line Randonneur, the Royal and the Touriste. In the 1987 brochure the top tourer is the Classic 15.

The 1987 Granada is 531 maintubes only, and had 700c wheels not 27s.

My guess is that the OPs is early 1990s and Raleigh reintroduced the name: the decal style suggests this.

Good buy all the same!

Roadking.

Re:

Just been scouring the web for info on my Granada and found this page... Hi jamesxp, your bike looks identical to mine, used to be my dad's, he bought it new in the 80s (around 85 or 86?) and hardly used it. Definitely a 531 (mine still has the 531 sticker on the front of the seat tube but it's starting to peel off). You'll be getting the odd nice comment from enthusiasts soon I predict :) It's a proper nice bike, enjoy!

Frame number will date it

You'll find it either under the BB, or on the rear of the seat tube

If it starts with a N, then it's a 'run of the mill' line built model

If it starts with a W, then it was built by the lightweight unit, and would normally have better quality drop outs

The next letter after N or W will date it as far as month, then the first number will give you the year (7 for 1977/1987 etc etc)

Hope this helps

I've got an old Raleigh brochure, not really sure what year it's from :roll:
but yours looks a LOT like what they were calling a Granada 10, looks like a nice bike.
I'll scan and post the page tomorrow.

'With a top quality lightweight frame of Reynolds 531 double-butted main tubes this machine is wonderfully light yet exceptionally strong. the specification include a 10 speed lightweight gear set, quick release alloy wheels for easy changing when transporting by car or van, and a rear carrier and lightweight guard - also note the new centre-pull brake arch. Yet the Granada has a very keen price tag, ideal for touring or long days out. The finish is a lustrous Blue Metallic. Sizes 21", 23 1/2", 25". Pump included."

Sounds like yours? :D

Mike

Back