Show us what you did today, thread

Total Bargain indeed and a great bike to boot- upgraded rear shock looks very capable and if you want to go the whole hog- some girvin vectors up front make this an iconic looking bike that rides very well as a full sus even by todays standards. The play can be sorted with some new bushings and there is a great proflex website that could help you source stuff- pace front hub as well which is very cool indeed.- her was my later beast

proflex-1.jpg

and he earlier 656

proflex-2.jpg

likey, likey Gaz... building my enthusiasm

I've put some air in the shocks to see what happens, I've got a bad feeling about the rear, replacements seem expensive.. was going to move the frame on, but think this is a winter project now (so be finish last winters SS project :oops:).

not bothered with the forks, vectors seem appropriate

need to get into that site and positively id the frame, think it's 855 or 856. any internet resources you can think of would be gratefully received :D :cool:

here is the website

http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/

sure there are a few proflex lovers on here- lysander orange 71 and a few others- post up on the main forum and I'm sure you will get loads of interest- sure rob had some vectors at one point- is it 1 inch or 1 1/8th headset do you know?

thanks fella, registered.

quickly stripped it down last night, the paint job is pretty rough in places to the extent that I can't make out the frame number. forgot to measure the steerer size. Going to hide the frame away for the time being, as I've enough little jobs outstanding

RobMac":1ctvccgz said:
How did it ride?
The forks were well plush but poised and the lock out worked fine (it appeared not to work in my living room). At first it felt a bit short in the cockpit but did help with wheelying it :cool: Bottom bracket felt high due to the long forks, the brakes were strong and made a lovely whirring sound when applied hard. It appears to be a good technical extreme D/H bike feeling almost like a firm full susser, I got a good technique going like a D/H skier side to side I was even doing most or all of that fully clipped in :shock: The bike climbs OK too, it doesnt feel THAT light to pick up but you dont really feel the weight while your riding. So first impressions, nimble, comfy, tight, capable of some pretty heavy duty D/H stuff, enjoyable, worth getting to know. Will report back later once we get to know each other better. :D

PS. Still need setting up as you'd expect from a new build (read gear issues elsewhere on here).

A wee update, me and the Pig are getting on great now that the drive train issues are sorted. As for the bike its self Im loving it its strong, torsionally stiff, nimble and comfortable, the harder you push it the better it rides. Im guesstimating the weight being between 28.6 & 28.9lbs but I swear it doesnt feel anything like that when your carrying, pushing or riding it. As for the brakes their shit hot with loads and I mean loads of power maybe the best Ive ever used. Now the forks their 140mm travel and feel very plush without feeling "mushy" they use a standard QR I just wish they had a 20mm/15mm through axle just to help with a very slight flex when pushed hard into a corner (rocky/bouldered corner) but in a straight line up or down hill their fine.
To summarise its proof (if you needed it) that steel is still alive and well and the more I ride it the more Im liking it, the bike its taking me a good few steps forward in my skills level :twisted:

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my p#sh ;)

Actually a good review that Rob. Not sure you need a bike to give you any more confidence on the downs though, you seem to have that pretty well covered!

Got a Works Components 32T front chainring in the post today. It's going on the Mary - they're 'inspired' (ahem) by SRAM's XX1 chainrings - SRAM figured out that alternating the teeth on the chainring between fat and narrow helped the chain stay on the chainring. Kind of cool (if it works), and should hopefully negate the need for an ugly chain guide... You can see what they've done in the photo below...

DSC_9520.NEF.jpg

In the spirit of Rob, I shall report on my findings once the Mary is up and running. Not bad for £30 though.

8757476619_d42e316194_b.jpg

Brilliant ride today with Hawmaw down at Kirro :D Brave man slept in the car for an early start, I managed to get down for 7:30 ish and we were rolling before 8. A few diversions where in place but the good stuff was all still there. This was another outing for the Salsa and I'm loving it :D Totally jelled with the bike and it showed today, took on alot of stuff that I wasn't previously and managed to clock up 12pr's on Strava :D Rode most of the trail and bar a few nadgery ups I ticked off quite a few trail obstacles that I'd bottled in the past. Still shat the big chute at McMoab though :oops: I'll let Hawmaw tell his side as there is a story or two there :LOL:

Latest posts

Back