Interesting Little Cannondale....1984 SM500 (x2)

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi
had this dropped at my door this evening.
felt sorry for it. so i kept it.
can anyone impart any wisedom on it?
year? model? and what's up with that rollercam `adapter' on the back?
wheels are on the way. apperantly it has a 26" front and 24" rear set-up.
drivetrain is mainly m700. aluminum frame and steel fork.
stem/handlebar looks to be a fillet brazed specialized unit.
how much of this stuff is original to this bike.
thanks
roy

Attachments

• Cannondale 26.24 006.JPG
    Cannondale 26.24 006.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Cannondale 26.24 005.JPG
    Cannondale 26.24 005.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,353
  • Cannondale 26.24 004.JPG
    Cannondale 26.24 004.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,353
  • Cannondale 26.24 003.JPG
    Cannondale 26.24 003.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,353
  • Cannondale 26.24 002.JPG
    Cannondale 26.24 002.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Cannondale 26.24 001.JPG
    Cannondale 26.24 001.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,354
Re: Interesting Little Cannondale

Love the handlebars and the deerhead rear mech. It shouldn't need an adaptor???

You've just hit retro gold..... thats an early cannondale like early!!! true retro with original gruppo..
And it just turned up at your door begging to be let in from the cold, my what a generous fellow you are.. ahahaha

I'm taking a guess at 1984/1985. I think the cable stop was a proper bridge across the seat stays from 1986. M700 and Specialized bar/stem would be original spec I think. What's the frame number Roy?

Result! That deserves a decent resto job, good luck!

1985 ;)
The really first mtb, welded in 1984 didn't got U brake or Roller cam studs on the rear triangle :D

I have the same frame in the same colourway too - I love the early Cannondale 'house' logo. You are lucky that the cable guides seem in good condition. Look after them (if you repaint etc. as the plastic can harden) as you will struggle to find replacements.

I'm not quite sure it's as old as 84/85, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong! The brief trend for 46'ers was more a late 80's fad that emerged after Carlton Reid designed and had a frame maker build his own mtb like that. Uber low geared traction combined with short wheelbase climbing manners and 26" front obstacle clearance.

Either way, a great find, as interesting as it is rare and well worthy of a resto.

hi
thanks for all the responses. i believe it is a 1985 sm500 from looking at the cannondale catalogues in the archives here.
although i couldn't tell from the picture if it had that strange rear mount for the rollercam brake. does anyone elses have that same detail?
also, seattube has a shim in it. is that supposed to be there?
what size seatpost does this require? anyone have an original they don't need? :)
might start to clean it up a bit this weekend. hopefully get the wheels this weekend also. i got it sight unseen for parts. after seeing it decided to keep it as a bike. wheels were on their way to recycling depot.
this will not be getting a restoration.
my money goes to the brodies, rockies and now toads of the world. ;)
roy

Back