Cove Hummer XC (Katy Kona is dead)

ruggerbugger13

Dirt Disciple
After finding a huge crack in the top tube of my 2009 Caldera whilst cleaning it one sunday, the race was on to get a new bike for Swinley Forest the following sunday!!!! In the process of saving for a new bike so I was on the prowl for a 2nd hand frame to tide me over for a few months.

A riding buddy came to the rescue & said he had a frame in his garage I could have for a £100, it was a Cove Hummer. Luckily I could transfer everything from the Kona to the Cove apart from the cables. Never normally goes this smoothly!!!

Feels a bit flash having a titanium frame but for that price I can deal with my inferiority issues . Thought about swapping it but I'm in two minds after the way it rode around Swinley.

Enough waffle for now, pics to follow........

After Swinley, awesome ride. But now I have to. Get to get some 120mm forks & some wheels now
IMAG0196.jpg

He bought as a project bike but it was a tad too big & he's got into road a bit more than mtb now. Was tempted to cash it in or swap it. He bought it off someone who got a warranty replacement, it's got a small repair due to chainsuck apart from that its mint.

You got a perfectly usable (and lovely looking) Hummer frame for £100..?

Your friend is either rich, stupid, or both! ;)

They can easily fetch 5 times what you paid for it!

Wow, that really is a bargain and a nice looking bike too.

What forks are you thinking about fir it? Will you still buy anew frame or stick with this?

Been told I could get some good money for it but I would rather swap it for something (that would be harder now I've ridden it!) :D. I want to get some 120-130mm forks, air ones ideally as I'm a hefty ex rugby player & I could pump them to the right pressure. Thinking about investing in some new wheels(strength over weight as I seem to destroy things without crashing) :D. Might get a shorter stem its 80mm but the top tube is longer than the kona by 2". Want the same stem ideally, due to holidays, kids school trips, life in general makes bike parts a low priority, :cry: .

Thanks for looking & for the comments.

It's good to see you got a really good deal from your friend so he must be a true friend as most wouldn't of parted with a frame of that quality for such a cheap price regardless of the frame being to big or for any other reason for that matter , oh that bike looks pretty special by the way and only a fool would let it go so your doing the right thing by upgrading it :cool: :cool: ..

Latest posts

Back