XT pedal maintenance help

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

Trying to service my M735 XT pedals got them all apart checked the bearings/cups...all good put them back together with a good dose of grease. Now on the end of the pedal axle are 2 nuts...the inner one is the bearing cone then then outer one is the locking nut. My problem is that I get the inner nut to the right tightness then when I put the lock nut on it ends up tightening the inner one and making them too tight to the bearings. I tried adding a small washer between the two but it has no effect. Its easy on bike wheels when you can get two spanners on the nuts but in the confined space of a pedal how do you stop the inner nut tightening!!!

Any tips or help greatly appreciated spent all afternoon trying to sort this one!

Cheers

Doug

retroyetirigid":1pf3hrud said:
I use a thin(ish) flat blade screwdriver to hold the inner nut/cone and a socket on the lock nut. Works for me ;) :idea:

Hmmm yeah tried that but then when put the pedal back together it seems to tighten/loosen when the pedal turns...

That suggests that they are not locked together.

IIRC it was a pain in the a** to do ,as I had to lean against the alloy body with the screwdriver pretty hard to stop the cone from moving when I tightened the lock nut up.

retroyetirigid":3q71zumi said:
That suggests that they are not locked together.

IIRC it was a pain in the a** to do ,as I had to lean against the alloy body with the screwdriver pretty hard to stop the cone from moving when I tightened the lock nut up.

I'll try again tomorrow when I have regained my patience! Thanks...

work the outer one in to tighten, and the inner one out to free up the bearings.......bit by bit......a screwdriver to hold said inner nut will start the process, but you need a good socket set to get it dead right.........a pita, yes, but it is worth getting right.......

Back