Sportives - What are they all about then?

Well, I was going to post that I am not yet anything like fast enough to take on club rides, until I looked at this evenings stats: 20 miles at 17mph ave, 1300ft of climbs and a 16mph SSW wind, which as I ride a circular route means I'm riding against, across and with the wind in almost equal measure. I would have stayed out longer, but I was late leaving, so needed to get home for me tea. ;)

I'll have a look at the Audax web site, which is a new one on me, so thanks for that. Other than that, I think I'll stick at my own training for a bit longer, as the phrase lamb to the slaughter comes to mind with everything I'm reading on other web sites.

I think I'll look for some mtb sportives after Mayhem. I think they are going to be more my sort of thing.

I've done a few sportives, but got sick of them - too many wannabe racers. After one bawled me out for stopping at a give way with a blind junction I decided bother with any more. If you want to race, mate, get a licence and stop playing at it.

Clubs vary - my local (Christchurch) has several slow and pottering type groups. The proble is usually smaller clubs where everyone gets lumped in together, causing frustration for all. Some clubs are relaxed, some a bit keen. :shock:

Sportives are good for introducing you to a new area and giving motivation of something to train for...if training up is your bag.

The CTC and Audax UK do lots of rides, the crowd is relaxed and more friendly. They also seem to be less gear-obsessed - lots of steel frames and scruffy blokes. When you talk to them many are the real deal who regularly do 400k or 600k events...not some bloke who reads C+ and dresses like a Power Ranger. The events also have advertised speeds. If you go to fast, the controls are not open and you have to wait!

A further option on top of the above - if you join a cycling club, chances are they will have reliability rides some time between the New Year and spring each year (so wrap up warm!) - average speeds are moderate and distances tend to be between 40 and 80 miles in my experience. The atmosphere is a relaxed, sociable one rather than a pseudo-race situation; routes tend to be reasonably challenging but not overly so.
Often there'll be a post-ride HQ offering refreshments too.

David

The whole club thing may not work for me.

My nearest club is in the town where I live, but their web site is so basic, the best I can find is an e-mail address for the secretary. There are a few other clubs locally, but the best of them appear to be in either Bristol or beyond Bridgwater, so meet up points would either mean a 25 mile ride to get there, or half an hour in the car.

As for riding in winter, not a problem, as I started riding my road bike in around September / October last year and have only missed a handful of 'riding day' since. I don't mind the cold, but it does make the climbs round here just that little bit more difficult. :evil:

Thanks for the thought Mat.

The cool route looks manageable, but as it's the weekend after Mayhem I'm likely to be away with the horses in West Somerset.

daj":22l2rbf6 said:
matthew71":22l2rbf6 said:
i entered this neil, and thoughtof you. i think there are some places left if you want to join me

http://www.action.org.uk/chiltern_chall ... pion_route

£50 Entry ?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

think you need to have another read dave, it,s £28 the rest is made up by sponsorship, and i will probably eat £20 of cake at the lunch stop. and dont forget the special medal you get for finishing

Back