Another ID help thread.

passatman

Dirt Disciple
I was hoping someone on here would be able to guide me on what exactly I have. Usually my collecting involves old road bikes and 'collectable' retro items, however lately I have been finding myself purchasing retro MTB. I already have a very nice CB (exact model passes me at the minute), a GT Karakoram with Inferno paint and now this one.

I bought it today from a couple of lads who do clearances etc, it was exceptionally cheap, and I also bought a Carlton Courette ladies bike and a Principia road bike, carbon forks and dripping with Dura Ace.

The bike, has 'Altitude' on the top tube, the full groupset is Deore XT, Columbus tubing, and has 2444 stamped on the BB. The only other identifying mark is a headtube sticker with 'Grange Cycles', likely who supplied it.

Does it ring a bell with anyone? Thanks in advance :cool:

Evening squire. Your username looks familiar from somewhere else :mrgreen:

Can't help much on the ID. Rocky Mountain made an 'altitude' but your bike doesn't look like one to me. I am frequently wrong though....

Hi Paddy....yes, it certainly is the one and only lol. All I could find was the one you mentioned, was hoping for someone amazing to hit this straight away. More research ahead methinks.

Cheers guys :)

Well, I think I will have to draw a blank on this. Had a look on the headbadge sticker......Grange Cycles, and in faded text I can read 'Phil Maciver' and 'Grange 33333'

Grange Cycles was a bike shop quite a few years ago, at Grange over Sands in Cumbria. It seems to be long gone, I'm thinking that this bike was possibly built from scratch at the shop as a one off. The low frame number seems to rule out a mass produced frame, and maybe it was bought in from a 'small scale' frame builder?

Anyways, I'll clean her up and use her, a lovely bike she is :cool:

passatman":21bueax7 said:
Well, I think I will have to draw a blank on this. Had a look on the headbadge sticker......Grange Cycles, and in faded text I can read 'Phil Maciver' and 'Grange 33333'

Grange Cycles was a bike shop quite a few years ago, at Grange over Sands in Cumbria. It seems to be long gone, I'm thinking that this bike was possibly built from scratch at the shop as a one off. The low frame number seems to rule out a mass produced frame, and maybe it was bought in from a 'small scale' frame builder?

Anyways, I'll clean her up and use her, a lovely bike she is :cool:

'Tis a beauty, definitely deserving of some love and attention...

Back