Club rides and retro's

I had a problem with a loose headset top nut on a Vitus 979.
I had it replaced but the same problem reared it's head.
I later was told that the problem is the alloy thread on the steerer tube wearing away.

I ride tubs all the time, good on you for keeping the faith.
Have to say I'm a cheapskate though, due to the cost of punctures!
I have used Vittoria Rally a lot, as well as Conti Giro.
Found them both ok, but the Contis really don't stretch that easily, glue rather than tape was a better way of fixing them.
Schwalbe Milano (now called Lugano) are a really nice ride and still not too expensive.

My only real rule for tub is not based on cost or ride quality, but that they MUST have an amber wall and black tread, everything else is heresy!
Richie

Richie,

I am not as much as 'keeping the faith' as being introduced to a new faith - hopefully one which will suit my needs.

From what you say - glue for Contis, tape for Vittoria - that is fine as i don't plan to use Contis.

Is the tape i have good enough for the job i have in mind for it?

Richard

If I may interject

I find the Jantex tape holds well but, application is a pain due to the backing paper always tearing
When it does you have to bend the tyre off the rim to get hold of the tape again, which of course can put the tyre out of alignment

On the other hand, Tufo tape is much better. It holds even better and the adhesive backing 'paper' is actually plastic so doesn't tear when it is peeled from beneath the tire...but, of course it is much more expensive, at least where I live

Panzr,

Thanks fot that - the prices differ here too - Jantex is cheaper. I think i saw a method using a pen below the tyre as you remove the backing tape - i had planned to do that and that would stop the backing ripping. Good idea?

Richard

Bloody genius.
The classic 'pen under the tyre and slide around the rim while peeling the backing paper' trick
How could I forget that one
Might try it next time...which should be very soon

Cheers

edit: Very soon indeed...tried it last night and it works a treat, thanks

Well I have recieved my replacement tub, so I will be out on the Alan on the next club ride just to annoy everyone. I have also just paid for a Pinerello Monovisio frameset. That will be built up with tubular wheels. I too have been using Velox tape with my conti tubs. I'll be using Vittoria on the Pinerello though.

I too have had to replace tub having punctured yesterday lunchtime!
Had to dip into my stock of maturing tubs in the loft, I used Jantex tape and the pen. Schwalbe Milano, having been on a rim for a few months at about 6 bar, went on like a dream having stretched nicely.

I've been carrying a Conti Giro as a spare in case of punctures, and found that ok to use unglued to ride back. The fact that it was a tight fit onto the rim gave me a little more confidence that it wouldn't roll, although I didn't corner at any great speed.

Does anyone have a supplier of reasonably priced Schwalbe tubs in the UK? otherwise I'm reduced to making a new order from Germany.

BFR,

What price are you looking to pay? I will have a look about. I think (but i could be really wrong) that i saw these somewhere for around £19.99 or maybe £18.99 - but i could be mistaken.

Could you give me some info about storage - i know not in sunlight but should they be inflated a little?

Richard

hi Richard,
I was always told to inflate them on a rim, in the dark and somewhere cold if you can.
It was suggested to me that somewhere between 4 and 6 bar pressure would do the trick for stretching, and that being in the dark let the rubber of the tread harden - but that takes years and not months apparently!
there is a story I've read of a cobbled classics winner who apparently said he'd used the same tubs in Paris Roubaix 14 times with no punctures, but that they'd spent two years on the rims hardening off before ever being ridden. and that they only came out of the dark for that one race every year!
true or not? true I hope!

around £20 plus postage would suit me very well for Schwalbe Milano/Lugano, it's the £14 of postage from Europe that I choke on!
Richie

Back