Ugly modern bikes

Ibbz...I think we may have found some common ground there! Those bikes are vile and I agree that a lot of new road bikes aren't pretty.

I really hate the bendy forks that are very in at the moment.

Mindmap3":1qaewesa said:
Ibbz...I think we may have found some common ground there! Those bikes are vile and I agree that a lot of new road bikes aren't pretty.

I really hate the bendy forks that are very in at the moment.

:) thanks man
Obviously not all modern MTB bikes are ugly, some are design classics, but the majority of the ones that try too hard are hideous, such as that kangaroo monster beast above.
Anyway, no one can doubt that retro vintage road bikes are by default far more beautiful than anything produced today - bar ones that are classically made.
Modern plastic bikes are just, words evade me ..

Just take a walk through Evans (while retching at the MTB) and admire the MTBs with dropped bars, I mean 'Road Bikes' (the distinction between racer and tourer seems to be confused nowadays and they're mainly hybrid MtB looking)
A friend at work was after a bike and bought a new Trek, I didn't want to offend her so said nothing but she could've picked up a beautiful hand built bike for less than she paid for te Chinese made alloy eye sore.
With modern MTBs at least buyers can justify the ugliness by claiming the suspension etc makes it more durable and effective off road - what's the roadies excuse ?

One of the reasons I chose the Pinnacle Dolomite for commuting was it's old fashioned, classical lines. That and the £300 off in the Evans sale and £100 of free accessories...

I've got a 2004 Carrerra Merida LRS full suspension i have had since bew it's not bad looking but goes very well off road, cuts through the terrain. So I'm not adverse to buying modern (ish)

Good and bad examples of retro and now bikes I think.

Agree they've grown in size and today's forks are usually the dominant feature when you first set eyes on one.

But I don't rate all retro bikes - there were some pig ugly ones back then too - eg British Eagle Boss, anything Dawes, anything Ridgeback...

I went into Halfords the other day (sorry) and was blown away by how good the Boardman range looked - racers and MTBs. I'm sure they get their share of haters, but to me they looked like a very well sorted range of bikes to suit non-expert riders.

grogee":3le9kkcb said:
Good and bad examples of retro and now bikes I think.

Agree they've grown in size and today's forks are usually the dominant feature when you first set eyes on one.

But I don't rate all retro bikes - there were some pig ugly ones back then too - eg British Eagle Boss, anything Dawes, anything Ridgeback...

I went into Halfords the other day (sorry) and was blown away by how good the Boardman range looked - racers and MTBs. I'm sure they get their share of haters, but to me they looked like a very well sorted range of bikes to suit non-expert riders.

Boardman??
That's my pet hate hahaha and they epitomise ugliness and all what's wrong with design these days! My opinion :D

Boardman are excellent vfm but few or their products are cutting edge performers, especially the mtb' s. You can tell from the geometry that they ain't got the development budget that Giant or Spesh have.

I don't mind the Boardman range. It's pretty inoffensive really. Good value bikes that aren't going to change the world but will be solid workhorses.

Chopper1192":6aqxysoy said:
Boardman are excellent vfm but few or their products are cutting edge performers, especially the mtb' s. You can tell from the geometry that they ain't got the development budget that Giant or Spesh have.

Bikes these days are like Smart Phones and such with a limited shelf life and to be 'upgraded' every year.

Well to be honest they've always been like that but now even more so.

I'm being unfair to boardman, they're no uglier than other modern bikes and its only the colour scheme and their association with Halfords which make them pretty wretched.

I think I shall start this topic in the Road section, as I said before, with MTBs at least function seems to dictate the huge forks and beastly looks but what are the road bike makers excuse ?

I think this thread has in its course here now

Back