What to build it with - 1990 Orange Clockwork

Logic.Al

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Was given the go ahead to have this frame on the premise that it's a slow build. So I want to do it properly. Got a quote for a respray in the original colours from Bob Jackson. But in the mean time how should I build it?
It has been suggested to have no Shimano at all and use Suntour. I do really like the early 90's DX and XT stuff with Thumbies though. I think anything other than a Turbo saddle maybe wrong.
And not sure wether to get some rigid forks or some RC30's or even RC35's. But the 35's weren't available in 1990 from what I can see on Goatsurfer. And the 1990 Rc30's maybe hard to find too. :(

I'm open to suggestions though. Other than ultra modern

If you like the Shimano from around the period then go for that, maybe run a road rear mech on the rear?

I also like the idea of no Shimano. What Suntour was available then and would be on a Clockwork?

I will be following the canti rule for this one.

Dx all the way for this. Fitted mine out with dx and also had the orange/white fade done at bob jacksons-be prepared for a VERY vivid orange!!!

I've been gathering Ritchey parts for my impending Dave Lloyd build, including a Logic saddle.

Bars stems and seatposts are not too hard to find, seats a little more difficult, canti's and levers get to be a bit more of a challenge, and crankset's pop up from time to time at not too much money.

Dx for the rest of the components would be nice and a more cost effective and age related build than Campag.

I might be resurrecting my Clockwork soon and it will be all XT as that's what I've got set aside. But if I didn't already have the parts a Suntour XC build would be very nice indeed. I'd stick with the original forks - I think back then (mine is a '91) it was either Rockshox, Manitou or Pace for suspension forks. Of those three Pace would be sticking to the UK theme nicely but I still prefer the original forks.

You could have any of the top three groupo's from Suntour or Shimano as standard on a Clockwork back then so up to you. There's some original looking Clockwork forks on ebay atm, not sure if they're the right size though. Otherwise RC30's would be good although I think you could get away with RC35's imo.

Bob Jackson's finish is very close to the original. I'd get the decals from Gil though as I think his are more accurate then any others I've seen including Graphic Shack or BJ's. ;)

Back