Finally, the Retro Roberts 'Roadster' is done

Absolutely brilliant. A new fashion for this summer?? The paint and decals are fantastic. Hope you have a matching handlebar moustache and clips for the bottoms of your breachers :LOL:

I've never been so confused by a bike in all my life. A selection of parts so utterly wrong that together they make a perfect build.

Lovely, amazing!

Awesome.
Loads of really nice touches there & references to klunkers, scorchers... all sorts of retro-coolness.

But I'd have kept the Hite-Rite on there.

A really left field approach. I'm going to take a polisher to a battered old XTR mech to make it look like Campag. Sounds wrong but it'll look so right!

That Stem,,,

Me likey, me likey.

I was at my mum and dad's house over the weekend and couldn't help but take my old GT for a spin round the block.....
My GT was approx 1990 build and the stem geometry is virtually the same as yours. I had a big grin on my face as I cycled along in my very upright position..! I loved it.
But, need my own"dorkey" stem for my current build project.....
Have you got a spare.....?? Ofcourse not.

Re: That Stem,,,

gazman":23use5ed said:
Me likey, me likey.

But, need my own"dorkey" stem for my current build project.....
Have you got a spare.....?? Ofcourse not.

Thanks for that!

As far as a spare, it took me an age to find this stem in this height with the roller, they get snapped up by the US drop bar fiends for silly money so I was lucky with this. Took me even longer to find the NOS decals so that I could have it resprayed in the green with original decals.

You may have more luck looking for a road (26.0mm) stem as these seem more popular than the 25.4mm one and then using a set of nitto shims to space it for standard MTB bars.

I do remember those GTs with the high riser stems - Outpost?

Back