Do you think your actually addicted to smoking?

I gave up smoking after realizing it was a total habit. I never smoked in the house cos my wife had never smoked so just didn't in the evenings if we stayed in.
I would get up in the morning,get in my car and depending on which direction i was leaving the village would spark up at the same point every time be it a junction or going past a pub etc.
I would also time it so i would have one just before i reached my customer.
i gave up by going "cold turkey" (made easier with a non smoking wife) the 1st week is the worst but if you can get past that it gets easier.
Unfortunately i gave in four years later when pi*sed at a party :roll:
Smoked again for another 4 years and then went "cold turkey" again. That was 12 years ago but i now realize that any taste of tobacco and i'd be on them again so avoid them like the plague.Thankfully i have very few friends that smoke anymore.

I have someone who works for me part time. 100% of the money he earns is spent on his wife's smoking habit. Seriously.

To quote Danny the Drug Dealer from Withnail and I "Why trust one drug and not another?"

When you get your head around the fact that the lack of fags is causing a chemical change in your brain which makes you want one, instead of actual desperate need, you're onto a winner.

They are chemically addictive, it's such a subjective thing for different people you can't really generalise.

I gave up after 15 years of between 1 and 20 a day, after a very nasty strep throat infection which left me bedridden for 10 days. I didn't really look back, ok I had the odd fag when drunk, but I knocked that on the head 18 months ago too, with no ill effects. On the other hand my mates granddad still craves a smoke no and again after 15 years of giving up!

Personally I think their sale should be banned but that will never happen...

Stopped smoking after a 16 year habit at the turn of the year. Went on to the electric ones for a bit but soon packed them in after realising they were more expensive then real tabs! The electric ones do not stop you smoking, they just put off the feeling of going cold turkey until you stop them as well. Saying that, they are better for you so not all bad.

When it comes down to it the way to stop smoking is just not to smoke again. That's what I told myself and it seems to have worked. Don't get me wrong, it was hard at first, they still smell ace, and at least once a day I'll think I could just do with a smoke but I don't.

brocklanders023":1xtazq0g said:
When it comes down to it the way to stop smoking is just not to smoke again. That's what I told myself and it seems to have worked. Don't get me wrong, it was hard at first, they still smell ace, and at least once a day I'll think I could just do with a smoke but I don't.

Agree 100%

I read Paul McKenna's (sp.?) book, finished it and immediately smoked, thinking it hadn't done anything for me.
The next day I woke up and didn't feel like smoking, I haven't smoked since. I did want to give up though, but for my wife's benefit not mine and we were planning on having kids so it was the right thing to do.

I only took up smoking in my mid to late 20's when I gave up smoking hash. I realised it wasn't the hash I had a habit with it was the nicotine. Worst thing I ever did. I've stopped at various times often for up to 2 years. Sometimes a pack will last for 4 days, other times, especially if I'm having a bad time in my life it can go up to 30 a day. I try to smoke roll ups most of the time though as it is financially crippling nowadays.

Smoking addiction is both physiological and psychological. You cant beat it unless you can beat both aspects of it. Some people and the OP seems to be one can beat both parts of the addiction. Some people cant for many and varied reasons. Dont look down on those who cant but try and help them.

Back