Aluminium frame repair - who to ask?

http://www.tocycle.co.uk

Tel 024 7645 0020

Fax 024 7663 5722

Email sales@tocycle.co.uk

I spoke to this company earlier. Of all the people I've spoken to, these have been the most patient, knowledgeable and reasonably priced. Just waiting on an email with a sample of their Ally work. All being well they'll be doing 2 of my frames.

Loads of good alu weldera in the uk , aerospace or marine places are also good to try.

You may not find those recomended welding rods in the uk but you can use a castolin tig-tectic 21 or 23 rod that will work well:

nimubus welding guide:
http://www.nimbuscycles.co.uk/Welding_Notes.pdf

If you are unsure fo the weld fatiuge and heat treadment. try searching online. it will probably tell you to put in the oven for 6 hours at 200 then 3 horus at 180 then leave for a week or two to get full crystallation.

Also you could have teh bb it reamed and then sleaved with a bonded steel sleve afterwards as the steal sleve with spread the load. argos cycles do this.

Cheers
Pete

I would hang it up on the wall rather than repair it.

Just my take on it, but if you are happy to spend the money why not?

I have rescued some total wrecks in my time, but usually because there is some emotional attachment.

I always have at least two or three old Jap motorbikes in the pipeline, right now looking at four restorations over winter.

But these are steel framed machines.

I just would not have the same confidence in a repair on an Alu BB, as that is a major concentration of stress.

This is possibly due to my ignorance, as I am sure if a well known repairer suggests it is worth doing it must be possible to do it successfully.

Mine has a crack in the head tube. I've seen others that have had a collar fitted top and bottom of the headtube and it looked standard.

im looking for collars for a a frame that i have got. its got a cracked headtube but luckly there is
about 5-7mm of headtube above/below the welds so i could fit collars and maybe get it welded too.

anyone know where i could get collars?
would it be better to get it welded first and fit steel collars (ally frame) or fit ally collars and have them welded too.?

Umm, if you're worried about distortion/frame damage during the weld repair, why not leave an old BB in place? It should keep things a bit more rigid, and when you remove it, it will hopefully 'chase' the threads back into shape...

Back