Humber road ride

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Opinions needed please guys, I've been wanting to organise a road ride for some time and I'm thinking one Sunday in late May early June might be the time.

One route I've always wanted to do is a full loop of the Humber using as many quiet lanes as possible and obviously crossing the Humber bridge. I've plotted a route and it totals 75 miles :shock:

I would be riding an old Gt converted into a sort of tourer and I know a lot of you would be riding mtb's with slicks so basically I want your opinions on whether that sort of mileage is doable or will be a horrible slog that no one will enjoy and result in me being thrown off the Humber bridge :oops:

Bear in mind that other than the bridge itself and the drag out of South Ferriby the route is entirely flat.

Let me know your thoughts please fellas ;)

I'll admit that 75 miles seems a little daunting. Maybe we should get the opinion of some road riders.

If I remember rightly our last road outing, completed by Ben, you and I, was quite considerable less than 75 miles and I struggled with the last section. That was the Howden road trip if I remember correctly. I did it on my Prestige.

I do think that we should try and get as many of the guys and hopefully gals in on this one. For those who shy way from tougher off road rides this one may be more befitting.

I'm tired now and need my bed.

Over and out Sir !

75 miles sounds good to me - I've done 70 on similar roads in 2 x 2hr rides (Cleethorpes and back) and that was pretty relaxed pace, so it shouldn't be too bad spread over a few hours.

I might struggle to make it though if it's end of May/beginning of June due to exams. It would depend how study was going closer to the time.

up for a roadie ride, felts nearly finished and so is my college work!!!!:) 75 would prob kill me though lol

Ahhh this is the thread you were on about Chris, i still need a bigger top chainring for my lava dome, but im willing to give it a go, might book the monday off work for recovery though lol!

I think I'll look for a shorter route to start us off and try to fit this in late summer sometime.

Anyone fancy York or maybe Driffield and back on some of the quieter roads?

chrisv40":24wj1xfx said:
I think I'll look for a shorter route to start us off and try to fit this in late summer sometime.

Anyone fancy York or maybe Driffield and back on some of the quieter roads?

Yup, I'd be interested.

No not yet, I'm going to find a date for a shorter ride first and see how everyone gets on.

Back