Water Bottles?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Ok, so I haven't used water bottles on my bikes for years now as I mainly ride MTB and take a Camelbak, nut now I'm getting into more road riding I need to buy some water bottles right?

I remember the old style water bottles making anything put in them taste of yucky PVC plastic, have things moved on since then?
I do have a Camelbak Podium water bottle that I use when visiting the gym, but they aren't particularly cheap (at least to a tightwad like me!), it is very good though, and although I've only ever put water in it it never tastes "plasticky" at all :)

Given that I'll probably want to be putting various energy drinks in these water bottles what do you reccommend? which ones will not make whatever I put in it taste of plastic or the previous energy drink it held?
Are there any firm favourites amongst the road riders on here?

All thoughts & advice welcomed :)

I always try to use the type with the hinged top cover these days especially on wet/damp days. Rather not run the risk of putting anything nasty (eg cow poo etc.) in my mouth if I can help it! Modern bottles tend not to 'taste' like some of the older ones did.

.......errr, I buy something I like the look of. Last one was black to match my Basso :) what a tart :D

Shaun

Old Ned,

Does your response mean that you used to taste cow poo and the more modern bottles help you avoid this? :D

I better add that i worked on a farm in my youth and have had the dubious pleasure on numerous occasions - the joys of milking cows!!!

To the OP - Kettlo had some nice TDF Coca Cola bottles for sale in the Sales section.

Richard

I use a Sigg on my Carlton Flyer, expensive but superbly made and they seal properly with a screw stopper. Well worth the extra dough.

Midlife":2u4s7ky0 said:
.......errr, I buy something I like the look of. Last one was black to match my Basso :) what a tart :D

I think I'm heading that way too :facepalm:

Been looking around, I think it's a worthwhile investment to get something that will last a while, and not a cheap plasticky eBay special that will probably be chucked away in a few months time.

I'll also be looking for one which is easy to drink from on-the-go.

Then there's the bottle cage dilemma, I have one at present and it's a nice carbon thing that I've had for a few years, but can I find another like it?? No... matching bottle cages are a must I think :oops: :LOL:

Good evening,

Apologies to begin with, i was in a shop called Decathelon today and they had a large selection of bottles - i did not look closely at them at all - hence my apology. I would give their website a look at least as they have various styles - including the steel ones.

Richard

Does anybody know where I might get my hands on a pair of TDF Coca-Cola bottles, I believe somebody had a few for sale recently?

Re:

jimo746":2yw0h4cn said:
I do have a Camelbak Podium water bottle that I use when visiting the gym, but they aren't particularly cheap (at least to a tightwad like me!), it is very good though, and although I've only ever put water in it it never tastes "plasticky" at all :)

Stainless steel sigg style bottle - £1.99 eBay (i sprayed the Swiss flag on)

DSC03111.jpg

Back