Raleigh competition '83

fossala":2k5q1lw0 said:
When I apply my front brake, my fork "flexes" is this play in the headset or just the fork. How could I check?
Cheers.

You may need to tighten the headset a bit more, I had a similar problem that was resolved that way. :)

Hey Fossala,

Maybe as TGR & Alex said, try to tighten a bit the headset and also check a bit the brake calipers. Hope this helps you out.

I also check the headset as TGR said, apply the front brake when stationery and move back and forth.

If the problem persists try to also send us a few pics.

I've got to go shopping as I'm home alone at the moment and have to fend for myself (misses away). Will try and sort it out when I get back, won't be able to test it though as the weather is awful and I've had a long day at work.

OK, looking at it, seems to be a loose headset. There seems to be a gap between the lower part of the headtube and the headset. I'll get on it tonight, cheers guys.

Apply the front brake, and turn the steering through 90 degrees. Try rocking back and forward - if you can feel movement still it's the headset.

The paint is a special green brew and contains mica so appears to change colour as the viewpoint changes. Nissan did an almost identical colour as a special edition on the Primers GT (I had one and can't remember the colours.name for the life of me). The paint is hideously expensive, over £200 litre even back then. When my car was damaged by some stupid fat old hint in a parking prang the paint was actually delivered to the body shop securicor! Honest to God.

Edit - I've remembered, the paint was called Mystic Green.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Chopper1192":2m7c1rqw said:
Apply the front brake, and turn the steering through 90 degrees. Try rocking back and forward - if you can feel movement still it's the headset.

The paint is a special green brew and contains mica so appears to change colour as the viewpoint changes. Nissan did an almost identical colour as a special edition on the Primers GT (I had one and can't remember the colours.name for the life of me). The paint is hideously expensive, over £200 litre even back then. When my car was damaged by some stupid fat old hint in a parking prang the paint was actually delivered to the body shop securicor! Honest to God.

Edit - I've remembered, the paint was called Mystic Green.
I tried to recreate this with paints from custom paints. The sample was very similar to the original and it recommended a black base coat and suggested other colours can give different effects. As the original base was red I used red and got a totally different result. By that time it was too expensive to start again, so I have a two tone, irridescent red/gold bike now. Looks good, but not like the original.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
These Lightweight Unit Raleighs (identified by the"W"prefix to the frame number) are very underrated and therefore undervalued (especially the 531 and 501 throughout models).

My advice would be, where possible, to restore the frame to original and again, if possible rebuild with either original or contemporary (-ish) components. For example my Lightweight Unit Raleigh Corsa (1984 and owned from new) was upgraded in 1986 with a Shimano 600EX groupset.

Longer term these currently underrated framesets and bicycles will ascend in value and perhaps (price-wise) will be where SBDU bicycles are now.

There's a prediction!

Roadking.

Latest posts

Back