Reflex ALX99 1988

Augustus":fwipaziz said:
sooooooo cool.

My first lusted after bike back in 88.

Me too. The finish is still pretty rad looking. I love the 'sticker' under the down tube. Makes it look like a slopestyle rig :LOL:

walleater":36m2ipub said:
Augustus":36m2ipub said:
sooooooo cool.

My first lusted after bike back in 88.

Me too. The finish is still pretty rad looking. I love the 'sticker' under the down tube. Makes it look like a slopestyle rig :LOL:

Going by the quotation marks round the "sticker" you probably know this already but the decals on the ally tubes are part of the anodizing and not stickers.

Hello all,

Here is my newest purchase, the bike is a 1988 Reflex ALX99, a sweet bonded (threaded tubes with adhesive) frame utilizing Easton 6061 E9 aluminum alloy main tubes coupled with Ishiwata EX brazed wishbone rear stay, chainstays, and a beautiful lugged Ishiwata EX rigid fork. Add to the great frame a full Shimano XT package and you have one sweet ride! This bike was not ridden, it must have been bought and lived out its life in the garage. The saddle has badly checked, almost dried and cracked ... other than that the bike is all original, all the way down to the stock Shimano oversized steel cable housing. The bike doesn't look like it has seen a single mile of use, I've bought NOS stuff that has more wear and tear. Another interesting bit that I came across is this Reflex ALX99 was designed by Jeff Lindsay from Mountain Goat Cycles fame. The bike is special enough to be included in MOMBAT's collection. I've included MOMBAT's write up on Reflex ALX99 as well as the link.

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Reflex.html

Reflex appears to have been the retail side of Easton? The bikes appear similar to the Raleigh bikes of that era but are definitely not identical. Jeff Lindsay, of Mountain Goat Cycles, drew up the original geometry for the Reflex line. The anodized finish is a nice touch and the screwed and glued construction is interesting. From what we have found, it appears as if the bikes only existed for a couple of years before being discontinued. There are some advertisements from Look and Peugeot that feature an identical frame so Easttubingon may have sold the rights to the frame. That would make some sense since it would have been difficult for Easton to "compete" against there customers.

My daughter turns 8 next tomorrow, she really wants a 26" trail bike (she is not quite tall enough yet), and her two favorite colors are pink and blue... this anodized gem is perfect!

Does anyone else still own a Reflex ALX99? Did you own one along the way? I would appreciate hearing from you regarding this bike, thanks!

(I should mention that I'm having the SR Laprade original seatpost polished right now, that's why it is pictured with a Salsa Shaft post. My LBS was sold out of Pink Oury grips, please excuse the naked bars. The first photo is as purchased.)

Attachments

• smReflexALX99IshiwataEX.jpg
    smReflexALX99IshiwataEX.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,752
  • smReflexALX99EastonE9.jpg
    smReflexALX99EastonE9.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 1,752
  • smReflexALX99XTparts.jpg
    smReflexALX99XTparts.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,753
  • smReflexALX99front.jpg
    smReflexALX99front.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,753
  • smReflexALX99profile.jpg
    smReflexALX99profile.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,752
  • smReflexALX99stock.jpg
    smReflexALX99stock.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,752
I have the frame with the carbon down tube .

need to rebuild it at some stage .

basically Easton created the Reflex using their tubes . But their clients got upset and Easton had to stop Reflex . Peugeot and look and similar models after Easton stopped .

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the effort! Elev12,000 had posted over on Bike Forums C&V some additional info about the similarities to the Raleigh, Peugeot, Koga-Miyata, and other bonded frames of the period as well as costs.

The catalogues mention prices in guilders. To give an idea: a basic rigid steel Stumpy with LX/XT cost circa 2200 guilders around the same time. A Zaskar frame only was 1500 guilders. Other bonded bikes: a Cadex CFM3 with LX cost circa 2K, a Koga-Miyata TrailRunner-Carbolite set you back 4300 guilders.

93 Koga TRC

The MSRP on these bikes is shocking! Granted it's seems common place today to find carbon bikes from Taiwan costing thousands at a bike shop (I would never ride one) but when compared to my '88 Reflex that cost $850.00 USD, you really seemed to get a lot of bike for your money back then. I guess I'm just not impressed with the bikes (music, fashion, etc.) of today, it's all disposable and nothing aside from some PAUL Components and a few other brands can be repaired. I was looking through the bike "photo book" on my computer realized something, I don't own anything newer than my '96 Smorgasbord Country Style Buffet (Reynolds 853, Hersey, Pennsylvania) aside from my '98 Psycle Werks Wild Hare (Easton alum. alloy, Laguna Beach, SoCal) and nothing I have is more advanced than Shimano 9 speed. I'm kinda' feeling out of date in the best possible way!!!

Attachments

• KogaTRC93C.jpg
    KogaTRC93C.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,687
  • 96SmorCSB_side.JPG
    96SmorCSB_side.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,687
  • 96SmorCSB_front.JPG
    96SmorCSB_front.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,687
  • 96SmorCSB_detail.JPG
    96SmorCSB_detail.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,685
  • 96SmorCSB_cook.JPG
    96SmorCSB_cook.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,685
I recently acquired this 1988 Reflex ALX99. The Easton E9 main triangle is screwed into Ishiwata EX CrMo head tube and stays. Fork is also EX.

I replaced the after market handlebar with a Reflex bar, added Oury grips, Cutter seat, new chain and original Shimano brake pads. Also found original 1.5 mm brake cables and 5mm gray housing. Haven't installed the light gray shifter housing. The rest of the bike is in amazing condition except for cable rub on the fork.

Even at 28 pounds it's quick and handles well. I may mount "urban" tires and use accordingly. I'm not sure that the "screw and glue" attachment system would hold up to much off road punishment.

Attachments

• PB275463-1024-h.jpg
    PB275463-1024-h.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 1,637
  • PB275473-1024-h.jpg
    PB275473-1024-h.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 1,637
The original Vento Propizio saddle really wasn't very attractive. I opted for a contemporary seat that worked well with the post modern feel of the bike.

The attached pic showing the Vento Propizio is part of a factory promo for the ALX99.

Attachments

• Specs Pic web max.jpg
    Specs Pic web max.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,608
Back