Early Dawes?

Dipsy Doodle

Retro Newbie
Hi folks

After years of riding vintage bikes with engines, I have been given a Dawes to play with, no idea of age ( mid 60s i think but ) and no idea of model. Any experts on this marquee at all, I believe they are hard to date..

Thanks

Jim

Attachments

• DSCN1927.JPG
    DSCN1927.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN1926.JPG
    DSCN1926.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 549
Difficult to date because they lost all their frame records in a fire. The head badge would date it around the 50s/60s and would have been painted enamel. Although, it looks like you have braze on shifters which would be later. If any of the components are original they may help confirm the year. Try looking for any stamped info on the crank arms or back of the calipers.

Looks like its been converted to a sturmey archer 3 speed?

We could do with some close up pics, it could possibly be a Clubman.

Thanks for that info Robbied196, It is a three speed, was my father in laws who said he had changed the gear lever, I'll check the brake levers and still have the crank to remove

Jim

Attachments

• DSCN1933.JPG
    DSCN1933.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN1948.JPG
    DSCN1948.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN1949.JPG
    DSCN1949.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN1953.JPG
    DSCN1953.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN1957.JPG
    DSCN1957.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 524
The altenburger brilliant calipers are the German equivalent of GB brakes, if they have a date code it would be on the back, I doubt they are original though. I think the Atax stem is late 60s early 70s.

It looks like its had a few changes, do you know when it was repainted? It could be the braze ons for the shifters were added at the same time. There's a grease nipple on the headset so you probably have another one on the bottom bracket by the crank, that would place it more 1950s.

Awesome, thanks, Forums are a great source of knowledge!!

Sorry can't date the painting of the bike, there is a type of grease nipple above the crank, but not like the one shown, hopefully i will be able to get on with it this weekend

Cheers

Jim

Back