2001 Specialized S-Works FSR xc (M5 Alloy)

pcpearson

Retro Newbie
Custom Built Specialized S-Works FSRxc

Built by Simon at Beyond MTB, Smithbrook Kilns, near Cranleigh in 2001

Frame Size: Large
Frame: M5 Alloy 90mm rear travel with spare (unused) 75mm linkage
Forks: Fox Forx 100mm travel
Crankset: XTR M960
Rear Derailleur: XTR Rapid Rise M960
Front Derailleur: XTR E-type with Carbon Mounting Plate M960
Wheelset: Mavic Crossmax Disc UST (Tubeless)
Cassette: XTR (I think, if not then XT) 11-32
Tyres: Continental Tubeless
Shifters: XTR M960
Levers: Hope Mono
Brakes: Hope Mono Mini. 180mm Front Floating Disc (black centre carrier), 140mm Rear Disc
Headset: Chris King (Black)
Bottom Bracket: XTR M960
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Straight
Stem: Thomson Elite 100mm
Pedals: XT SPD
Saddle: S-Works
Bars: Answer Hyperlight Carbon Straight
Grips: S-Works

Selling to make room for a new steed. I have owned this bike from new. The frame, headset, seat post, saddle, shifters, front mech, forks and wheels are original as other parts have been replaced and upgraded as needed.

I'm an engineer by training and have looked after this bike and serviced it as needed. All suspension pivots have needle roller bearings and titanium hardware. The bottom shock bush has been upgraded to a BETD Strong bush, which doesn't flex like the original Specialized ones did.

The wheels have been faultless, never buckled, never caused any problems, they are still some of the fastest wheels around, with bladed Maxtal spokes, and commercially available replaceable cartridge bearings, which I've replaced twice in their lifetime.

Fox Forx have been serviced annually by me and a couple of times by Mojo, they are plush, with no leaks and no marks on the stanchions, the anodizing has not worn on the legs as can be common on these types of forks.

Frame has a few marks from chainsuck, and a couple of marks as you might expect, but overall it is in excellent condition, you would not believe it is nearly 12 years old! They just don't make them like this anymore. One of the last models to be handmade in the USA.

To be fair I've hardly used the bike in the last 5 years since starting a family, and I've been doing more road riding too.

Lots of photos available, when I can work out how to post them! Can be found here - http://sdrv.ms/18GKrBx

Open to genuine, sensible offers, but I'm not planning on giving her away!

£1,000

P1030546.jpg

As Logic_Al says, you might have more luck if you put it in the right section fella.

A quick scan through the forum before posting your for sale advert would have shown you that we have a section for bikes 1998 and newer.

Good luck with the sale.

pcpearson":1nt1uud1 said:
Sorry guys, new to Retrobike, and forums in general!
Thanks for the advice.

Don't worry, you're certainly not the first person to have done it, and you definitely won't be the last!

Another suggestion - if you split the bike, you'll generally get more for it. It's more of a hassle to split and post everything separately, but with the spec of the bike it might be something to think about as I would have thought there would be quite a bit of interest in the bits.

I'd definitely be interested in the brakes, for example :)

Edit: And the rear mech too ;)

Back