Hope 36h front hub Cracked Flange ?

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
The pics are taken in macro and super macro so you can zoom in pretty close.

Looks like a crack to me in that its on both sides of the flange.
Ive just bought them and i want to get a 2nd opinion before i mail the seller.

Bums :(
The Ti rear looks ok but it could be ages before a front comes along,might be better going for a refund though the rear would be a nice addition to the Team Retro parts collection. Would have been nicer to have both :(
Still on the lookout for a rear 32h 6 bolt Hope XC in purple.to match the nos front i have. :D Speak up cos im never going to let go of it. I shall not waiver first.

Attachments

• Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 006 (Small).JPG
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 006 (Small).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 409
  • Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 003 (Small).JPG
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 003 (Small).JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 007 (Small).JPG
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 007 (Small).JPG
    39 KB · Views: 409
  • Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 002 (Small).JPG
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cracked 002 (Small).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 409
My initial thoughts were it is just a scratch but as you say it is on both sides of the flange linking 3 holes so I would say definately cracked.

As Bullpup says, the fact it's on both sides of flange and same shape makes it more likely it's a crack instead of just a scratch. Some coincidence to have a scratch the same on both sides.

Could you get it crack tested?
Don't know if this is a load of pish but years ago I read about a method od crack testing that involved WD40 or another penetrating fluid and talcum powder.
Clean the suspected crack area then apply but not skoosh on the WD40/penetrating fluid, let it soak in for a bit, wipe dry with paper towel, including in spoke holes,then apply small amount of talcum to crack, shake/blow it off and if any sticks to line of crack it might just be a crack.

This as I said is more than likely complete pish but might work.

: I'd suspect the worst, I've also saw the wd40 / talc test as cap describes performed on cranks by my lbs bitd. You'd be gutted if spent time and money building wheels for them to fail :cry

There also looks like discolouration around the "scratch" on the inside - that could be caused by excess stress on the metal, with matching scratches either side even if it wasn't actually cracked I would have no confidence in that hub, and as it is the front would never risk it.

Think of your face dude, it ain't that pretty but will look a whole lot worse with no teeth and a stem imprint on your forehead :)

They're prone to cracking, add the fact a disc brake has been used and it's nigh on guaranteed to crack (as disc brakes transmit torque through the hub - spokes - rim - tyre) and adding to that, as the dishes aren't equal as in a rear wheel, the tighter spokes on the shallower disc transmit most of the torque, leading to an even greater load on the disc brake side flange and the results are evident in your pictures.

On the second picture down it's quite clear the crack starts at the indentation caused by the spoke.

If you built it four cross, didn't use the disc brake, used it on a bike with a suspension fork, I think it could be serviceable for light use. Even if it did break and you lost three spokes it's unlikely to cause a catastrophic crash.

Back