Retro Skateboard - 87 Santa Cruz Jeff Grosso

I had a Deathbox "Danny Webster" in 1990 with Gullwing trucks and Deathbox DODO wheels. It had Monty Python graphics, cellblock 3 risers like in this thread and SC rails. Apparently according to a retro skateboard shop I went into a year or two back it is one of the rarest decks and most sought after of that period. Too bad it got run over by a lorry when I didnt quite land a kickflip and it shot out into the main road in 1993!

The deck I really wanted was a Powell peralta McGill with a fish graphic on the underside but it was a lot more expensive

Love this thread!

I was a skater after BMX then moved to mountain bikes. My first deck was a Variflex Eliminator, pretty standard, £50 in 1986, saved my first 8 weeks paper-round money up for it and my Dad gave me a tenner towards it for saving so hard. Got an Illusions Homeboy deck after that and some orange cosmetic defects Slime Balls wheels from Southsea Skate Park for it, think I had Tracker trucks on it. I have a complete NOS Variflex Joker board in a box somewhere, will dig it out and take some pics.

I saw the Powell and Peralta team on tour at SSP too, 88 I think, I still have the T-shirt! So many happy memories from down there, every Sat morning, 10 to 12 session, when it went up to 55p I had to ask for a pocket money rise so I could still go, that was '83 on when I was BMXing. My lad is 4 now and he wants to head down there, cool!

Vinevo":1hkgay5a said:
Love this thread!

I was a skater after BMX then moved to mountain bikes. My first deck was a Variflex Eliminator, pretty standard, £50 in 1986, saved my first 8 weeks paper-round money up for it and my Dad gave me a tenner towards it for saving so hard. Got an Illusions Homeboy deck after that and some orange cosmetic defects Slime Balls wheels from Southsea Skate Park for it, think I had Tracker trucks on it. I have a complete NOS Variflex Joker board in a box somewhere, will dig it out and take some pics.

I saw the Powell and Peralta team on tour at SSP too, 88 I think, I still have the T-shirt! So many happy memories from down there, every Sat morning, 10 to 12 session, when it went up to 55p I had to ask for a pocket money rise so I could still go, that was '83 on when I was BMXing. My lad is 4 now and he wants to head down there, cool!

Cool thread :cool:

I was a regular at Southsea Skate Park around then & also saw the Powell tour (also saw the Haro Freestyle tour & Eddie Fiola demos)
I found an old Santa Cruz board at my local tip around 10 years ago,i don't know what model as it was all scratched up so i sanded it & sprayed it yellow added new bearings & cushions. Its still hanging up in the shed now :)
I always wanted a Zorlac or Alva but could only ever afford blank decks.

Good times :D

Gruff":14fxu6bw said:
Vinevo":14fxu6bw said:
Love this thread!

I was a regular at Southsea Skate Park around then & also saw the Powell tour (also saw the Haro Freestyle tour & Eddie Fiola demos)
I found an old Santa Cruz board at my local tip around 10 years ago,i don't know what model as it was all scratched up so i sanded it & sprayed it yellow added new bearings & cushions. Its still hanging up in the shed now :)

Great stuff, you will probably remember Southsea Skate Shop in Highland road too, all the decks, wheels, stickers, shorts etc. I still have most of my thread bare holed Powell Tees from then worn to death, I have just never been able to bin them!

Vinevo":u08qnn0u said:
Gruff":u08qnn0u said:
Vinevo":u08qnn0u said:
Love this thread!

Great stuff, you will probably remember Southsea Skate Shop in Highland road too, all the decks, wheels, stickers, shorts etc. I still have most of my thread bare holed Powell Tees from then worn to death, I have just never been able to bin them!

Got all my stuff from there but also Surrey Skateboards in Woking as both my parents worked there.
Was gutted when Southsea Skate shop closed.

Gruff":25ia448y said:
Got all my stuff from there but also Surrey Skateboards in Woking as both my parents worked there.
Was gutted when Southsea Skate shop closed.

just clearing out my mums garage anbd found my old jason lee blind deck from ss. happy days. :xmas-big-grin:

In the loft yesterday and found my old skate clobber out!

Attachments

• IMAG5517.jpg
    IMAG5517.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMAG5516.jpg
    IMAG5516.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,047
WD Pro":120v97bq said:
Dibs on the pink one :LOL:

Please sell it to me ... :D

WD :D

It's tissue paper thin with loads of holes some big, I couldn't let them go now its been too long! They did re-release them all a couple of years ago like all the stickers, they used to be all over ebay!

Back