Small gap where ends of Campagnolo Atek rim joins?

dazzawazza

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just received some NOS Campag ATEK rims.
On inspection I have noticed a small gap between where both end of the rim join.
Is this something I should worry about, see below?

Thanks

8735210045_6e3af9090d_c.jpg

Looking at the drill holes on either side of the rim, I can see a metal wedge holding the rim together.
This can be seen on the middle hole of the first photo and the top hole in the second photo.
The other holes don't have this second layer, see middle hole second photo.
I'm assuming that the join strength is meant to be from the wedge, not from the join itself?
The braking surface at the join is even, with no raised areas.

Thanks

8735489791_e0f98b94f5_b.jpg

8736609944_a11363ebf9_b.jpg

I guess those Campag rims are pinned instead of welded (like the Mavic SUP rims).
When the wheel is built up the compression from the spokes will keep it all together.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much, just build them and ride them. :)

If you're using rim brakes, it will be annoying, seen things like that on wheels belonging to BSO's.

Most wheels were only pinned until Mavic started welding them. I've had a couple of Mavic rims fail where cracks have propagated from the weld.

Most people don't consider Mavic 317 to be (and I quote) 'belonging to BSO's', yet they are pinned only. In fact I noticed the chink of light through the join when building up mine.

Back