1980's Kunker (kind of)

theredchili

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
One mans treasure is another mans scrap and all that…… After yesterdays West Midlands"Scrap Yard Challenge"ride I managed to come away withs Nevadasmiths Raleigh Maverick circa 1985 ish? I have a soft spot for the look of '80s bikes and been after a Fat Chance of this era for a while. When I saw this I loved it and spend most of the morning Skidding on it until Adrian finally gave it to me!

So is this going to be restored - hell no,just making it into a simple Klunker style play bike. The idea is to spend a maximum of £25 on it as was limit set on the Scrap yard Challenge. So any Karma bits welcome and in return your welcome to take it out for the day and play !!!!!

What have i done so far ? removed the rear reflector and fitted a Wisecracker beer bottle opener-don't want to rush things!

Heres a few pics, with exception of the rear mech and cassette it look completely original,though I intend to fit different rims, brakes, cranks and Single speed it. I will probably de badge it, maybe rattle can it.

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 707
Re: 1980's Kunker

more pics

Attachments

• photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 704
Cool, my mate had one of those, similar to my Metro. I saw a Raleigh Bomber the other day locked up whilst I was driving in the blue metallic colour they did, forgot all about them in that colour!

You know there's some nice angles on that bike! Velo will be most jealous both of the bike and the meet, he's been trying to organise a similar thing for donkeys!

S65-63189 (15 Dec. 1965) --- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) Gemini-7 spacecraft as seen from the Gemini-6 spacecraft during their rendezvous mission in space. The two spacecraft are approximately 43 feet apart.

Maybe it was part of the mission?

Attachments

• s65-63189.jpg
    s65-63189.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 665
You need to practice those 'broadslides' James.

When I was a kid, we used to put cowhorn handlebars and knobblies on any old road bike we could find (for free, usually from the tip). They were always single speed and often fixed (or was that jammed), and were equipped with only a back brake that was there for the sole purpose of sliding and skidding.

If you want it to look really 'sporty' then a couple of little alloy mudguards are required.

There is an identical bike currently on ebay, in pristine condition, to say I was / am tempted is a major understatement ;)

Enjoy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Champagne brown no less!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 638
I Have such respect for the maverick, was the 1st MTB I had and ever saw, I had built one that I loved riding HERE such a long chainstay, the only bike I had to add links into a new chain :LOL: rode it at mayhem , even though it was hard work it always got a smile , if you got passed by the maverick you would know it ;)

Extra kudos for the 5 speeder with side pulls ............... Or a super maverick .... Oh yea seriously cool ;)

The best picture and my Fav ad was of the maverick :cool:

raleigh_maverick_187.jpg

Neil - the brakes were utter pap when wet! Need a way of getting some decent stopping power, Adrian mentioned about BMX I brake adapters,but it appears they don't make them any more.

I noticed the rear hub would take a Fixed cog which may be even more fun and would solve the crap brake :twisted:

Back