Quality 700c Alloy Clincher 36h Rims - Where are they all?

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I've got a pair of wheels with large flange Record hubs and Mavic G-40 dark grey rims. I'm going to get them rebuilt with new Swiss stainless spokes but I don't really like the rims. I've been looking out for a while for a pair of good quality rims in plain alloy that will polish. I've seen the right sort of thing at £200 a pair :facepalm: I'm thinking somewhat cheaper!

Has anyone got any good recommendations or links to replace the G-40s?

Cheers
Rob

Re: Quality 700c Alloy Clincher 36h Rims - Where are they al

I forgot to add, 20mm, late 70s early 80s

For what it's worth, I think you're wrong:

I've seen pics of your Crowther before & it's a design classic - in fact, it is pretty close to perfection: G40's included!
Elegant & subtle. All the best classic parts together. Just the right amount of chrome, panto's, bands, stripes & general frills, etc., but never actually too bling - which is the point here: Your front & rear ends are all chrome - you add polished wheels as well & it's too much! The black (or anodised grey or whatever) is just the right balance.

I have much respect for your opinion & you may prove me wrong - but if you just can't help tinkering then maybe just pop some white bar tape on or whatever.

PS. If you really are set on new rims it has to be eBay, Gumtree or one of the forums doesn't it?
Just need a whole load of patience & you'll eventually get the right thing at the right price.
There's always Hilary Stone, Steel Vintage or these folks I came across recently:
http://bike-vintage.com/29-wheels

Velo Orange do some nice polished alloy rims in 36h- yes they're modern, but you get the benefit from modern alloys and construction which makes them a bit more robust that 1980s models. Stainless eyelets won't tarnish either.

HP Son TB14 is another good new classic looking option.

Another option but perhaps too shiny - Mavic MA 2

Richard

Newman8":3i68y137 said:
For what it's worth, I think you're wrong:

I've seen pics of your Crowther before & it's a design classic - in fact, it is pretty close to perfection: G40's included!
Elegant & subtle. All the best classic parts together. Just the right amount of chrome, panto's, bands, stripes & general frills, etc., but never actually too bling - which is the point here: Your front & rear ends are all chrome - you add polished wheels as well & it's too much! The black (or anodised grey or whatever) is just the right balance.

I have much respect for your opinion & you may prove me wrong - but if you just can't help tinkering then maybe just pop some white bar tape on or whatever.

PS. If you really are set on new rims it has to be eBay, Gumtree or one of the forums doesn't it?
Just need a whole load of patience & you'll eventually get the right thing at the right price.
There's always Hilary Stone, Steel Vintage or these folks I came across recently:
http://bike-vintage.com/29-wheels

Thanks for the comps :) I've got to admit, after thinking about this for a while you could well be right. They do need rebuilding, I have the old style chromed steel spokes which have seen better days. Its going to be much more cost effective just to have them rebuilt with stainless spokes and keep the rims.

I like the Mavic MA2's as Richard suggested, I even have one but its a bit worn. Last NOS pair I saw went for £120!!

Robbie,

I got my Rapide wheels rebuilt with SS DB spokes last week - £30 for the job including spokes and they look fantastic - they are Weinmann rims and have been straightened maybe 30 times in the past. The front was straightened 3 times in one week in 1985!!! There are at least 10000 miles on them and after some polish and a lot of elbow grease and more polish and a sanding block and more elbow grease they look fine.

If i was not so anal about the Rapide i would have bought another set!!

Before

After

And the 'after pic' is before the final polishing and building - if that makes any sense at all!!

Richard

TGR":21uk01up said:
Robbie,

I got my Rapide wheels rebuilt with SS DB spokes last week - £30 for the job including spokes and they look fantastic - they are Weinmann rims and have been straightened maybe 30 times in the past. The front was straightened 3 times in one week in 1985!!! There are at least 10000 miles on them and after some polish and a lot of elbow grease and more polish and a sanding block and more elbow grease they look fine.

If i was not so anal about the Rapide i would have bought another set!!
After

And the 'after pic' is before the final polishing and building - if that makes any sense at all!!

Richard

Now that is a nice rim :)

I'm a magpie for bright and shiny things

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qcfuWtPVTM[/youtube]

I just has a look on ebay for Weinmann rims and i was surprised to see so few of them. These were 'cheap as chips' in my youth - have things changed?

Richard

Back