Ever had anything thrown at you whilst cycling?

NeilM":29gv5xnq said:
Like you I also drive a lot with my work, around 35,000 miles a year, and unless the road is narrow, when single file for bike and horse is preferable, I really can't see how single file is any different to side by side. Let me put it another way, what's easier to overtake, a slow moving car or a tractor towing a small machine.

For what it's worth, when we get traffic behind us, we tend to ride the horses single file, as it cuts out a lot of the verbal abuse, but I still think it's as broad as it's long... literally.

We have this issue with the bike club, if there's 20 of us and we're riding 2 up & 10 long, I reckong this must be the size of an articulated lorry, is there really any point going single file and being 20 bikes long, two lorries long!!

andyz":29gv5xnq said:
Also, had a blackbird fly straight into front wheel of a motorbike I was riding - poor thing.

I found a blackbird, erm, 'parked' in my brake vent in the front valance.

Ian Raleigh":3dp3bab6 said:
Do you ever have cyclists front & rear of the horses ??

I tend to see this around the Nottinghamshire quite back lanes and these cyclists will not move over to let cyclists through even when you say 'excuse me',
but its another story for car drivers who want to pass by.

No we don't, but I do know what you mean. This is usually in the form of a gaggle of mtb's and horses / ponies / donkeys, released at random from a local livery yard or riding school.

One thing to mention along these lines is that many horses are alarmed when cyclists approach fast from behind, this is a natural 'predator' response. I understand that it's sometimes unavoidable, due to narrow lanes, but if possible a shout or a wide birth when passing is appreciated by many riders (there will always be the odd grumpy bit..... person).

this is why a good bell is a worthy addition to your cockpit. i used to think it a bit gay* but realise that shouting your approach can sound aggressive, the little gay bell cant really upset anyone.

*i don't actually care what anyone does :)

gavinda":24k8dd2n said:
this is why a good bell is a worthy addition to your cockpit. i used to think it a bit gay* but realise that shouting your approach can sound aggressive, the little gay bell cant really upset anyone.

I always mocked bells but now have them on both of regular rides as I use cycle paths a lot.

Tazio":1x41mzx4 said:
gavinda":1x41mzx4 said:

I always mocked bells but now have them on both of regular rides as I use cycle paths a lot.

i use cycle paths whenever possible but i dont have a bell. probably should, but, when the occasion calls for it - and even better if they havent seen me, i ride in a little close and at the last second bellow into their ear.
i did this once to some muppet of a girl crossing a busy main road (jay walking effectively) with ipod plugged into her ears - about 10 metres from a pedestrian crossing i might add -
she was taking her time when she got to the cycle path, and when i crossed behind her (i had to swerve around her into the parallel bus lane) i shouted 'IDIOT' to make sure she could hear me over her freshly downloaded Bieber album, to which she promptly shat her pants to the tune of a very shrill scream.

i rode off with a grin from ear to ear.

A fist.

A guy cut me up passing some parked cars on his side of the road (I had priority). His mirror hit my bars, folded in, and a torrent of abuse came out of the window and he slammed the brakes on and reversed towards me, so I hopped the kerb, passed a couple of cars waiting patiently like they should have, and sprinted off down the road. Got to the bike shop (where I was headed), and the guy jumped out and hit me! On a crowded high street!

Being a foot taller than him and 25kg heavier I just held him against the wall until passers by made me let go. One of them got his number plate and face on camera, so I took the bastard to court. 150 hours of community service, £600 costs and £50 compensation for me.

Joe of Loath":1mvl7sxj said:
A fist.

A guy cut me up passing some parked cars on his side of the road (I had priority). His mirror hit my bars, folded in, and a torrent of abuse came out of the window and he slammed the brakes on and reversed towards me, so I hopped the kerb, passed a couple of cars waiting patiently like they should have, and sprinted off down the road. Got to the bike shop (where I was headed), and the guy jumped out and hit me! On a crowded high street!

Being a foot taller than him and 25kg heavier I just held him against the wall until passers by made me let go. One of them got his number plate and face on camera, so I took the bastard to court. 150 hours of community service, £600 costs and £50 compensation for me.

nice one!!! You didn't retaliate, a good lesson for us all, thankfully they got some punishment... :)

Yeah, first thing that went through my mind was 'Don't fight back, you'll squash him and it'll look bad'.

Court was pretty fun, too. Turned up in a suit worth more than the defendant's car (lucky find at a vintage stall) and made his lawyer look silly. in front of the magistrates.

A large stick thrown by a group of teenagers. Thankfully they missed.
They got the **nkers gesturing but were too far away to pursue :D I shouted something nasty and cutting at them also.

Back