Canti cable routing

Tom79

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Probably a simple enough question but one I need some advice on please!

My frame hasn't got a canti bridge at the back, and I don't have anything to route cables up front either (have seen some of those things you can fit to the steerer to route cables through).

I want to run canti brakes but wondering how I can route the cables. Is it just as simple as making sure the casing is on there to avoid rub on the seat stays....like I said probably a really simple question but would welcome any pics of other builds and cable routing options as I'm not sure what's best.

Cheers

Tom

Probably the simplest fix for the back is to fit a Kona dog collar to the seat tube. This will take away the need for a frame end stop and give you an upstand for the canti.

A2Z make bolt-on frame stops.

hamster":39iqmmbf said:
Probably the simplest fix for the back is to fit a Kona dog collar to the seat tube. This will take away the need for a frame end stop and give you an upstand for the canti.

A2Z make bolt-on frame stops.

That seems a sensible option to me....as for the front, I don't think I really need anything?

You have several options:
1) An upstand or pace rocker fitted through the fork crown bolt hole (or on the suspension fork bridge).
2) A cable hanger in the headset stack
3) A roller / hanger on the stem.

Clearly 2 or 3 would not work for front suspension!

What frame is it ?
Dog Collar is nice, but you have to know the diameter of the seat tube (31,8, 28,6 mm)
If your seat QR is on the rear of the tube, you can fix a cable hanger on it (like shown on the trek 8700 picture)

Other solution : a pulley like a Force 40 on the seat stay bridge.

hamster":2eekikrt said:
You have several options:
1) An upstand or pace rocker fitted through the fork crown bolt hole (or on the suspension fork bridge).
2) A cable hanger in the headset stack
3) A roller / hanger on the stem.

Clearly 2 or 3 would not work for front suspension!

Pace rocker it is! Got one so that should do the job nicely.

24pouces":2eekikrt said:
What frame is it ?
Dog Collar is nice, but you have to know the diameter of the seat tube (31,8, 28,6 mm)
If your seat QR is on the rear of the tube, you can fix a cable hanger on it (like shown on the trek 8700 picture)

Other solution : a pulley like a Force 40 on the seat stay bridge.

31.8mm seat clamp on it....but I need another so could go that route. Suspect I will probably look at the cable hanger as per that pic....thanks for the advice.

24pouces":3t36jwm3 said:
What frame is it ?

You can get it to fit smaller seat tubes by fitting a small shim (cut out some plastic milk bottle to shape).

If the drilling on the seatstay bridge is like the picture, you could even fit a Pace rocker there.

I've seen a simple hanger made by Surly and On-One...fits between the clamp and hangs nicely off any clamp you want....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 533
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 533
Don't forget Paul's Funky Monkey.

I use the Surly rear hanger on my 2001 Indy Fab, works nice but doesn't have the looks of the Paul's, then again it is the fraction of the price...

Cheers for sticking with cantis.

Mr.Toad":2pv1zhy9 said:
Don't forget Paul's Funky Monkey.

I use the Surly rear hanger on my 2001 Indy Fab, works nice but doesn't have the looks of the Paul's, then again it is the fraction of the price...

Cheers for sticking with cantis.

Yeah I looked at the funky monkey...as you say a little pricey and can't find one in silver which is my preference.

Canti's had to be done!

Back