Bike advice please!

jem

Retro Newbie
I love my 1980's Bob Jackson steel framed racer covered in campag bling, However, I feel i should be dragged kicking and screaming into this century with a modern , light, fast bike.

I tried a Specialized Allez that I hated, no soul at all. So what do i buy? I'd love something italian but don't think i can afford it . Just want something fast and with a bit of soul. I don't mind what frame material , just would like your comments. Will keep the Bob, need something to keep up with the wipper snappers on the weekend run.

Jem

Go for a retro modern build: buy the best modern groupset
that you can afford and that will fit your current bike.
Ergos or STIs will make riding more comfortable and convenient, but you get to keep the steel frame.

Both the above are good answers. Like the rebuild idea, could also cope with new wheels. I'm new to this site, can anyone direct me to good examples of retro rebuilds? Jem

jem":1z9yi6yj said:
Both the above are good answers. Like the rebuild idea, could also cope with new wheels. I'm new to this site, can anyone direct me to good examples of retro rebuilds? Jem

Here's one of my retro rebuilds:

Colnago Tecnos frame with 10s Sram Rival (to maintain the silver/alloy look) Campag hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro's (Campag cassette respaced for Sram)

Colnago Tecnos by aussierider43, on Flickr

Thanks for showing me your beautiful bikes. I am now on a mission. Sourced a nice Colnago master frame for £600 and now looking for the rest of the parts.

Thanks Retro Bike

Back