Any info on this Tildesley Bike

NickG

Retro Newbie
Mum has this old bike which says Tildesley on the front.
All I know is that she bought it from a lady years ago who used to race it and I believe it dates back to the 50's or the early 60's. Still rides quite well ( I used it for school when I was a kid many years ago).

It has part of a sticker on the down tube which says Plan... (Planet?).

I would be interested to know if anyone has any information about the firm who made it or if it has any historical interest.

Nick

Attachments

• Mum's bike.jpg
    Mum's bike.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Mum's Bike 2.jpg
    Mum's Bike 2.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Mum's bike 3.jpg
    Mum's bike 3.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 1,206
Tildesley were made at the Planet Works Birmingham, I think the company closed before WW2 there are VERY few of their bikes left in existence.

I have a Tildesley frame in my shed but unfortunately the thread in the bottom bracket is badly worn so I see no real chance of restoring it.

It is a nice looking frame with very ornate lugs, but a bit on the heavy side.

There are very few referances to Tildesley Cycles on the internet, I would love to know more.

Re:

Any chance of good photos of the head badge and remnants of the down tube transfer please. It would help someone else preserve the identity of another Tydesley built frame.

Re:

I hope this will help. unfortunately the downtube transfer on my frame is long gone.

Tildesleybadge_zps298c982c.jpg

Re:

Thanks for the pic. It is a completely different head badge to the one on the frame I am looking for transfers for, which is a Pintail model. Perhaps they had different head badges for different models, which was quite an unusual thing to do.

I have just made a search for a Tildesley model bike and come up with this thread!
I have just acquired a gents Stag Tourer made by this company.
I have a 1953 Italian "Mosquito" cycle motor and have been looking for a bike of appropriate age to mount it on in order to get it registered at DVLA.
I am sure this bike is 1950s and so will allow me to do this.

The calipers are marked "Monitor Sheerline" and I can find that these were made by The Monitor Brake Company of Witton in Birmingham which made brakes during this period.
The saddle is a Middlemore, again made in Birmingham; they originally made horse saddles in the 1800s.

I am very pleased to be able to have used these posts to identify the bike as the rear transfer shows only "TILD***EY C***ANY , Pla** Works, Birmingham".
The chain sprocket has the word PLANET pierced in it, so i guess it is Planet Woks!

Back