The Scrap yard challenge ride May 12th FOD aftermath

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
What an ace morning at the FOD with the Scrap Heap Challenge !!

Well chuffed with not only the turnout but the general spirit of the ride too!

I have to openly admit my bike was shit I took more of a beating in one loop of the V trail than 100k of the HONC on cross bike for sure :shock: , I was quite actually pretty surprised though how well it held up even with the semi-automatic fixed wheel :LOL:

Loads of comedy value!!

-Robs saddle
-Marks genuine astonishment that you can get stems that bolt off at the front!
-Adie still managing to rock up with something cool in a scrap competition
-How young Spike is??
-Everyone laughing how crap their £25 bikes are .... History man being chuffed with his :LOL:
-Spence coming with Beer and event plaques (Proper top man!!)
-Welcoming Warpedman to the fold
-Secretly quite intrigued with the Jones after quick spin in carpark
-The brakes on the Magna :shock:
-The relief of leaving my bike with NeilM who kindly passed them onto charity :cool:

Great stuff .... Annual event? :D

Post ride, I have just delivered two fine examples of Raleigh's best engineering to a charity in Bristol; the guy that runs the place was delighted and also thought the challenge was a fantastic idea.

As for the ride, brilliant fun, and in my humble opinion, an outstanding success, well done to Dave and Adrian for the organisation and idea respectively.

Bike of the ride has to be Adrian's Raleigh. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see pictures! Gutted I couldn't be there but as it's two weeks until half term I needed to let my body recover a bit!

KatieMacK":13w2gwcw said:
Can't wait to see pictures! Gutted I couldn't be there but as it's two weeks until half term I needed to let my body recover a bit!

And get a cat!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the pictures and video shorts! I'm guessing there will be looks of terror as forks flex and brakes do nothing!

I would be the first to admit that I had it easy. A modern (ish) frame albeit one found in a skip. I at least had a front brake that worked. The rear was a non starter due to the fact that the bent axle prevented the blocks being set close enough to the rim to actually touch it when the lever was yanked.

Hell, I even had suspension. My first ride without SPDs since I threw away my stabilisers was a bit strange but, with a set up that verged on the modern my usual very crap descending was merely, crap.

Highlights for me were that last descent down to the car park. Also watching (I think) Spike hauling on his brake levers and... Nothing happening. He was forced to use Spence as an emergency stopping medium. Dave's Ever Ready light set was pretty special as well.

Bike of the ride for me was that chap who was with Spence. The rusty grinding paste as chain lube was a nice touch as well as the most woeful brakes as well.

Thanks to Spencer for the beer.

The line-up bar one i think? Total cost about £150!

Attachments

• crop1comp.jpg
    crop1comp.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 8,624
  • webv2.jpg
    webv2.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 8,617
My brakes were terrible, not helped by the complete lack of grip on my roadish tyres. I think I won the contest of most wobbly rear wheel hub.

I just realised that there were FIVE Raleigh's there today.

Makes you proud :mrgreen:

As for those complaining about poor brakes; we were using canti's, what did you expect?

That was jolly good fun - thanks to everyone that came along :D

Some splendid examples of retro bikes on show, interestingly all British brands :?

I was amazed at the lack of serious mechanicals and accidents - I also felt a bit sorry for the chaps on 140mm trail bikes that couldn't seem to get rid of us idiots!!

Thanks also to Spence for the beer and name plates - genius!

My 'Maverick' was robbed by some pikey from the Forest :LOL: looking forward to seeing it tricked up as a S/S.

Here's a whole load of pics that I took, apologies for the lack of focus in some (most!) but the bikes were going so fast due to the excess of mass and lack of brakes it was hard to pan quick enough!

The Bikes (sadly missing the emmelle :( )

The Action:

Latest posts

Back